You are here

Guardian Article - Cancer Drug costs in the UK

Categories:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/sep/23/uk-cancer-patients-being...

I didn't realise that Dasatinib in Brazil is sold at less than half the cost of the UK, or that it's over 4x the price in the US!

I've recently written to Bristol Myers Squibb to ask what their position is going to be for patients on the Spirit2 trial who currently receive Dasatinib free on the NHS but stand to lose access in 2018 - for the 300-400 patients affected I've suggested they may be able to negotiate a one-time price with NICE which reflects the ethical considerations they need to take into account if those patients are responding well but stand to be denied their medication after the trial.

Rod

My understanding was that Dasatinib (100mg) was available to the NHS at a cost of £2504.96p per 30 day cycle (from section 3.4 here), which is over £30,000 a year. That's still less than the £40,000 I was told at my hospital for the year.

It's about $100,000 in the US, I think.

here in brazil dasatinib is cheaper than glivec for market reasons. we have only imatinib (generic one) for first line therapy here and dasatinib is the most used second line therapy here.