You are here

Recently Diagnosed...

Morning All,

I was recently diagnosed on the 28th of October and found your CML Support group a couple of days ago and so decided to join as looking through the threads there seems to be a lot of good advice, help and friendly chats :)

I was actually relieved to find out my diagnoses as it explained all the problems I was going through with feeling like crap for the last 12 months and since being on Imatinib I have felt back to normal again with bags of energy :) I ended up being in hospital for a week where they managed to get my blood count down from 352 to 170 before being released and sent home on Imatinib, the following week my bloods went down to 150 and this week down to 13. I've been signed off work for a month and return to the office on December the 1st which I'm really looking forward to.

I haven't suffered many side effects yet, I've had a bit of achy legs in the evening and dry skin and had a bit of itchy skin at the start but that's passed, so my question is do side effects come on later or do they normally come on at the start? I've been on Imatinib for 3 weeks this coming Monday so wasn't sure if side effects come later or not?

Look forward to hearing from you and getting to know you all :)

Cheers,

Claire x

Hi Claire

Welcome to the site. Side effects can be a bit of a mixed bag - some people get the straight away and with others it takes time. When I was on Imatinib it took a while for the cramps to start, they lasted about a month and then went away again. It was almost the body getting used to the drugs and them trying to sort the problem out. If you do get aches and pains just double check what you can take as a pain killer first.

Where are you being treated?

K

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the info.

I've been told that I can take ibuprofen, which I do take if my legs ache, haven't got cramp yet though so look forward to that bout if I get it lol...

I'm being treated in Cheltenham and have had such an excellent service from the NHS with this, they've been great.

Cheers,

Claire x