You are here

Side effects of Imanib 400mg (Mfg by Intas, India)

Categories:

My mother (age 69) is a CML patient and she is taking Imanib 400mg for last 3 years. Imanib helps reduce the WBC count from 100000 to 4000 which is within acceptable limit. Lately her haemoglobin level has gone down to 8.9 g/dL (Reference range 12.0 to 16.0g/dL). Does any one face low level of haemoglogin? What food supliments are recommended for increasing haemoglobin level?

Seems she has iron deficiency anaemia.   There's a lot of reasons why someone could have that and not necessarily linked to imatanib at all.  

Suggest she discussed with her doctor.

I get good results with having cereal that's fortified with iron.  Taking pills is very hard on the stomach-but if you can get it through food it doesn't hurt and is supposed to get absorbed better, because your system is already working to digest/absorb the food, so you get better absorption of the iron.  I use "Fiber one", here in the us.  It has 90% of your daily recommended iron intake levels.  Otherwise it's really hard to get enough iron just through diet.  Even the things that they say are high in iron, like spinach, red meat, etc. only have around-10-15% of what you need.  I eat cereal for dessert!  It's sweet, crunchy-add cinnamon-delicious!  good luck!