You are here

6 Months into treatment and wanting to get fit again. But the weight wont shift!

Categories:

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with CML in August 2015 and it is currently being managed by 400mg Imatinib daily.  From the start of January i decided i wanted to drop 4 stone so joined my local gym and have been going three to four times a week and i have completely changed my diet.  I eat healthy but for some reason cannot shift weight.  I have lost 2lbs in 6 weeks and am now very disheartened.  I am no stranger to fitness and healthy living as i lost 8 stone in the past.  Put 4 back on after getting married.

Is there any advice anyone can offer me as to how to help shift my weight?  I appreciate any help guys thank you.

Now as a sports trainer in a discipline where you can't carry excess weight and have to have good core strength (equestrian)  I can be tough on this subject.    I've run classes called "Fit to Ride" because you sure as heck can't ride effectively if you're unfit and/or carrying excess weight. 

You've said "for some reason you can't shift weight".  It's not rocket science.  it really is very simply a case of eat less and do more and in the right ratio and proportion.   If you're not losing weight then you're eating too much for what you're doing.   You've not said what you're eating in terms of calories but you need to know and you need to make sure you're not having too many.  Are you having no more than say 1,500 calories daily and are you honest with yourself?  Likewise just joining and going to a gym doesn't mean that you're doing sufficient to burn calories.   When you're there are you working with a trainer and are you sweating like a pig with your heart pumping.  If not you should be.

Likewise you've talked about having history of excessive weight and then massive loss and then large weight gain again.  That all indicates to me that rather than this being about a diet and exercise programme that it's about a lifestyle change.    Something you can do forever.  That allows you to live a well balanced life.  Eat normal well balanced menu with portion control and do a lot more moving.    It needs to be part of your life.

I'd suggest though that you ask your GP to refer you to a nutriionist or check at that gym if their trainer's are qualified and have done such as Sports Science and Sports Nutrition.   If so might well be worth paying for one as a personal trainer to get tough with you.   I've never personally been but know a lot who highly recommend the "Weight Watchers" organisation and they also seem to be into "change forever" rather than "diet"

Im no stranger to a gym or eating plans. In past years i lost 8.5 stone this was pre cml. I am doing everything i need to do and nothing seems to be working so wondered if it was a case that imatinib is having an affect.

Hi Shammell,

I think imatinib does have an effect in some patents on their ability to lose weight as easily as they did before treatment. Lots of people complained of weight gain - maybe due to increased water retention - and/or other metabolic changes when treated with TKI therapy.

I think you may need to rethink your previous diets - at least the methods you were successful with prior to treatment - as it you may need to restrict or decrease your carbohydrate intake as opposed to calorific intake. It is a complex area and we do not know all the answers. 

I hope you find a way that you are comfortable with. I know it can be miserable when those extra pounds do not shift so easily. However, I do agree that exercise is beneficial on many levels.

best wishes,

Sandy

I know this is tough task to do but doing ragular workout than you will found the changes in your body trust me keep practicing hard and harder as all as i can say to you now.

http://pragyaglobal.com/

Hi there

My sympathies, I also find it harder to shift weight now on imatanib. It took 3 months of being on 1500cal per day for me to shift anything and I visited my mum for 3 weeks and stopped recording my food intake, it all came back again :-/

May I ask what your daily calorie intake is?

Just my few cents, not necessarily useful, just my experience as I find the topic interesting:  "before" cml can be "way before" or just up-to/before diagnosis...in my case I started dieting 6 months before my diagnose and was happy as a bunny that I hit my intended weight loss target of 20lb / 10kg - was a bit of a dissappointment to learn that it was partly down to the cml in the accelerated stage ;)

Now (after 6months on Imatinib almost all came back, partly due to my body getting back to normal, partly me not following my strict diet anymore (Paleo/no Grain) 

Btw I measure my weight/bodyfat/water/musclemass etc via a bluetooth scales + app on the phone, which I recommend as it's great to see the changes over time, after a "fat" holiday or fests/weekends etc, in hindsight also how the weight/muscle ratio changed when I entered the accelerated phase.   Anyway, such scales are great for monitoring a diet / weight-loss / muscle-gain program.

Oh goodness yes, yes ,yes.  I got fed up with the weight gain on 400mgs imatinib and hit the gym 3 times a week + keep fit class+ walking miles in hilly Devon - and the weight remained the same. At least no more went on but could I shed any? No.  Then I went down to 300mgs because I had held MR4 for over a yea rand the weight started coming off. In my mind this is proof enough that the weight gain was caused by Imatnib.  However, I would definitely not recommend anyone reduces their TKI dose without consulting their doctor. better to gain weight than to lose life!

Also good to read a post from you after so long, Darley. Still in TFR?

Best to all

Chrissie