You are here

Itching with gleevic

Categories:

My son has been taking Gleevec 400mg for over a year now.  He has outbreaks of scabie type sores all over his body including his penis area.  Has anyone else experienced this?  What can be done to alleviate the itching?  He was taking Sprycel before Gleevec but it cause him heart problems.  I'm getting concerned that we're running out of options.  

He should talk to his doctor about a short course of steroids/hydrocortisone and/or stopping therapy for a few weeks to see if it is a side effect of this TKI. If the rash does not resolve with a course of steroids he might request another change of therapy as this would show intolerance (not resistance) - there are at least 2 other TKIs that might be suitable for him either nilotinib (although this has shown adverse cardio effects in some people as does ponatinib) however, bosutinib which some clinicians have said has less high grade adverse events compared to other 2nd generation TKIs.

In any case your son should not be forced to endure such a uncomfortable side effect- as I said, a short course of steroids may well solve this problem which will enable him to stay on this particular TKI.

Sandy