You are here

Mothering a child with CML

Hie i recently discovered that i am pregnant and i'm taking glivec.What are my chances of having a health baby 

Hi,

Do you plant to go ahead with you pregnancy? If so has your doctor advised you to stop taking imatinib therapy? It is not advisable to continue as the risk to the baby is highest in the first trimester (3 months). This is why women who get pregnant whilst on TKi therapy need to be councelled about the risks involved. It is true that some women have gone on to have healthy babies but the risks of foetal abnormality caused by TKI therapies is very real.  

Another factor to consider is your response to TKI therapy- do you have access to your PCR results? What has your doctor advised that you do? It is possible to treat your CML with alternatives until your baby is born- at which point you would resume therapy.

See the following link to the 2015 UK CML patient conference and download Dr. Graeme Smith's slide presentation on fertility and pregnancy - including risks

http://www.mpdmeetings.org/patient-conference-2015/#speaker_13132

Sandy

Hi there,

I am no expert on this particular topic, but if you are at all "sciencey" I would recommend reading this presentation by Prof Jane Apperley.

Apperley - CML & Pregnancy - CML Advocates Network

Slide 14 offers some advice as to how to manage stopping imatinib whilst pregnant, monitoring the disease and then what to do if your PCR rises - if you did decide to continue your pregnancy and you are in a good position (disease wise) to do that.

Have you spoken to your doctor? What did they say?

David.

Thank you for your responses .My doctor advised me to stop the drug for the first three months. It's been a month since I stopped and everything is OK health wise. I  want to continue with the pregnancy and  I'm just praying that everything will be OK.I will read all the articles you have recommended 

That's great to hear. I know that in some cases where the mother-to-be's CML rises a little, pegylated interferon can be given to help control it while still pregnant. There are many options available to you.

Please keep us up-to-date with your progress. Your experiences over the coming months will be invaluable to others seeking similar information in future.

David.

Hie. I haven't posted here for quite some time now. I'm six months gone now and all is well. Will keep updating you guys. Thanx for your support and care. God bless

That is brilliant! It must be so exciting for you smiley.

David.

Congratulations. Please keep us updated as you go along. 

Sandy

That is fantastic news. 3 more months to go, then. Lovely,

Take care

Best

Chrissie

I was advised by my hospital in Switzerland, they have seen several successful and healthy pregnancies on Glivlec. 

Best of luck!!

Help me celebrate the birth of my princess. I gave birth to a healthy bouncing baby girl weighing 3.420kg. She came on the 25th of January.

Help me celebrate the birth of my princess. I gave birth to a healthy bouncing baby girl weighing 3.420kg. She came on the 25th of January.

Congratulations!  We've all been thinking of you and hoping it was going well.  Have you given her a name yet?

Olivia

Fantastic news. Many congratulations. Enjoy those sleepless nights!

Best

Chrissie

Tabitola,

This is such wonderful news and congratulations on the birth of your lovely daughter. It must be very gratifying for you to have taken the decision to go forward with your pregnancy and to finally have your healthy baby daughter.

Best wishes,

Sandy.

Thank you dear. Her name is Wilmah. I can't get my eyes off her.

Hahahahahaha. Chrissie dear I'm having sleepless nights for sure but unfortunately can't enjoy them.