You are here

CML and COPD and Bronciectsis

Hi everyone, new member today.

Have been diagnosed with CML and am taking Imatinib 400mg once daily. I also have COPD and Bronciectsis.

The standard medication for COPD Exacerbations is Amoxycillin or Doxycycline.

Does anyone know how the last named antibiotics perform with Imatinib  

Regards

Hello and welcome to our rather exclusive club that we'd all rather not be in! :-)

Imatinib and amoxicillin don't have any known interactions. Nor does imatinib and doxycycline. There's a handy medication intereaction checker at  drugs.com which you might find useful in the future when you're not sure if you should take something or not. I find that a GP or a pharmacist doesn't usually understand potential drug interactions with TKIs.

I'm actually currently taking dasatinib and amoxicillin to clear out a bit of a chest infection, and Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium) is routinely given to CML patients in my hospital when they are suspected of having an infection.

David.

Hi David,Thanks for your reply, it's all a bit of puzzle for me at the mo but am pleased to learn that Imatinib and Amoxycillin/Doxycycline are compatible.

Regards

Gordon 

Hi again Gordon,

Are you newly diagnosed? If so, and you have any questions at all we'll all be delighted to help as best we can. You will also find useful info under the "CML Facts" and "Living" sections on this web site. You can also find things like questions to ask your doctor in the first few meetings.

http://www.cmlsupport.org.uk/section/template-questions-early-meetings-your-treatment-team

David.

Hi David,

Yes I am newly diagnosed with CML (amongst others) but my main concern was COPD Exacerbations. The CML started with routine blood tests which showed a high white blood cell count.

Have been a very frequent visitor to our (Peterborough) Oncology clinic where Imatiinb has been prescribed.Had Bone marrow biopsy and Bone marrow samples taken.Next appt is early September.

Have had much literature on CML

Regards  Gordon