You are here

Pain that moves after fighting an infection

Categories:

My mom recently had what the doctor diagnosed as a urinary tract infection.  She had major pain in her abdomen and stomach.  She was unable to eat solid food.  Her urine was brown also. Two weeks ago the doc gave her an antibiotic shot and did some tests, and gave her an oral antiboitic, which cleared up her infection (he did not give her a second blood test because she's going this Thursday to her hematologist to get one, and by the time she went to the doc she told him she was feeling fine, although still fighting the infection (although she had been complaining she felt so lousy, for days so presumably she was trying to avoid any unpleasant tests). She said to me that her pain had gone away by the time she went to the doctor and also, her urine was clear.

She did get better although now it's been about a week and she is now in major pain again.  She was up all night with it and is having trouble eating again.  Her doc (GP) does not have an after hours number and is not in until Tuesday.   I am trying to convince her to go in to the ER and she is considering it, but so far no luck.  She is nearly 80 and you can't ignore symptoms with her age and health.

Her pain is described as an abdomen or lower back pain that moves from one area to another.  She cannot get comfortable. Also, all-over achiness. She did not have any pain before this infection.   When she eats, it makes it worse so she does not seem to be able to tolerate much solid food, just eggs, cottage cheese and such. She believes that this infection has also caused problems in her knee and hip and lower back- her knee is a mess from a longtime injury and this has flared it up and she does have a touch of arthritis in her back.  But she believes the infection has affected these areas as well.  

Does this sound familiar to anyone?   Has anyone experienced this getting over an infection?

Thank you

Extra info: she is on Tasigna, doc said she is in remisssion, recently upped her accupril which brought her blood pressure under control,  has been having side effects from the Tasigna, is very resistant to change, or suggestions, so what I can do is limited, but I'm just getting information to better understand this. 

Hi there,

I'm sorry - I only saw this post now. I think it sounds difficult to know what is going on with your mum - at 80 years of age there could be many other factors at play, totally unrelated to CML.

I see that your GP ought to have been back in their surgery today though, so were you able to see them again?

Looking at the information for accupril side effects, back pain and myalgia is listed as one though uncommon. Perhaps the increase of that dose has flared some things up? There doesn't appear to be any known interactions with accupril and nilotinib (Tasigna). 

David.

Thanks David.  Yeah I don't think it's the accupril either.  It's hard to say though.

We went back to the doc today.  She's had a lot of pain the last few days.   He gave her some pain meds, which she isn't handling well.   He did a blood and urine test, an x-ray and is ordering some kind of scan for her bones where they have to put dye in her. 

The frustrating thing is that her doc really doesn't get into side efffects at all.  The oncologist.  It's so hard to tell whether that is the case.  But I think it's something else because she didn't have this pain before the infection.   We should know something after the scan.  PRobably next week.  They have to order the stuff for her.

Thx