You are here

understanding BCR-ABL levels

Categories:

Hi,

i have been on Imatinib 400 since 110days , yesterday i got my BCR-ABL quantitative results an is found to be 42.3632% on IS scale.
initially when i was diagnosed they did not carry BCR-ABL quantitative instead they did qualitative alone (which just says positive or negative)
how do i co-relate these results , what does this 42.3632% mean ? is this value normal after three months of diagnosis??

can someone please help me out in understanding this.

thanks .

jilu

Hi Jilu,

The ELNet recommendations for an optimal response to TKI therapy at 3 months is that you should have achieved a partial molecular response of less than 10% Bcr-Abl or a reduction to less than 35% Ph+ cells. Nevertheless some patients do take longer than the recommended timelines to reach the goal as set out by the ELNet. You should talk with your clinician and ask if you can have another qPCR test (you may have already done this) and review the situation in 1 month. If you still have not reached less than 10% Bcr-Abl then you could consider a change in TKI to one of the other 2nd generation drugs such as bosutinib, dasatinib or nilotinib - all of which are highly effective - depending on your personal preference and clinical profile.

I hope this is helpful, but if you want to learn more about what you should expect for an optimal response then please read our QPCR primer for patients - page 12 onwards would be relevant to your questions.

Sandy

This primer is JUST was I was looking for, thanks Sandy!

Hi all,

Here is my latest bcr-abl results . Initially I was on imatinib 400mg but changed to dasatinib 100mg daily 3 months back due to severe bone and muscle pain. Latest bcr-abl shows 4.9781% on IS scale 3 months back I had this value exactly 42.3632%.
Can someone tell me how good I am responding to dasatinib.

Hi Jilu,

Well you have obviously responded to dasatinib as your Bcr/Abl level has reduced considerably. If this result is from a sample given 1 month ago (2 months from starting dasatinib?)  then your next PCR will hopefully show a further drop to CCyr (1.0%)  or preferably below that (0.1%)

I assume you are having months PCR tests?

Sandy 

HI Sandy,

Thanks for your quick response .
I started dasatinib 3 months back , is exactly when I had my PCR test . I am doing PCR tests every 3 months.

Regards,
Jilu