You are here

Improving immunity after a BMT

My husband had a reduced intensity BMT about 2.5 years ago. It went well but his immunity is worrying me as he was hospitalized twice last year with pneumonia first and another less serious chest infection. Can anyone recommend any practical ways of improving immunity? We have a 5 year old daughter, and obviously she is bringing home a plethora of bugs from school. Many thanks

Hi Justyna,

I also had a reduced intensity SCT but that was in 2003. I have had various upper respiratory tract infections over the years but fortunately not pneumonia. I currently have a heavy cold owing to the fact that I work in a shop/gallery and come into contact with many people during the course of the day.... a bit of a sitting duck if you like.. However, I try to make sure that I protect myself as much as possible by taking vitamins and mineral supplements every day. I also take large doses of Vitamin C and at least 5000 iu of vitamin D3 (natural form) every day as well as a good vitamin B complex which is also essential . 

In the end it really does depend on allowing your new immune system to mature and this sometimes takes a few years. I am wary of taking antibiotics unless there is a real need (i.e in the case of pneumonia) but rather just up my daily dose of vitamin C and let my immune system do its job. Most of the symptoms of a cold or viral infection are signs that your body is working hard to counter the infection and apart from plenty of liquids and rest, in my view that is the best way to build immunity. Of course it goes without saying that any sign of an infection developing into a more serious condition should be acted upon.

Sandy

Thank you Sandy. I knew about supplementation with vitamin C but vitamin D is a new one and I shall try it. Many thanks again.

Thread continued from: 
BMT??