You are here

Bone density

Categories:

Hi All

Some of you may remember back in Sept 2015 in Month 12 of DESTINY when I broke my upper arm and spent 4 months in a brace? Anyway, I now have a fractured spine from trying to pick up a heavy box way back in November but only now have I had it X rayed. (I went to an osteopath instead of a doctor as I thought it was something easily fixable and GPs aren't that good with bad backs. I'd never had a back problem before). These two issues have led me to wonder if Imatinib has an affect on bone density.

I asked my haematologist who did some research and has found out that Imatinib is afuture  potential treatment for osteoporosis so shouldn't be the cause of these fractures. I should add that I had never broken anything in my life before my arm.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Has anyone else had unexpected breakages since on Imatinib?

I am waiting for a call from my GP and no doubt I'll be having a bone density scan. Heigh ho.....

best

Chrissie

Hi Chrissie

I haven't had any breakages - I just wanted to say that I'm sorry you have had all this to cope with.  I'm sure you will let us all know how you get on.

Best

Olivia

Thank you, Olivia. I think that as well as sex education in schools, they should teach kids what getting old is like so they, at least, are prepared!!

Best

Chrissie

Hi Chrissie... sorry to hear you are having ongoing problems since you broke your arm. Not sure how to respond other than to suggest you take a look at natural progesterone cream and the link between progesterone hormone levels and osteoporosis.

See here for a fairly decent summary of the difference between progesterone (a bio-identical copy of the naturally occurring hormone in the body)  and progestin (a synthetic analog that only resembles the structure of progesterone which is one of the replacement hormones in HRT).

Falling or imbalanced progesterone levels have a direct impact on bone density....as well as being the precursor to oestrogen and it can do no harm to support your levels by using transdermal natural progesterone cream. I have used this cream since I had the first signs of menopause and it has helped me more than I can say.

It's also good for men by the way as it rebalances testosterone levels ;o)

Sandy

Thanks, Sandy. I shall definitely look into this.

Best Chrissie