You are here

cml re

Categories:

hi just letting everyone know i'm a newbie on here and would like to share my experience  regarding cml 

i was diagnosed in 2002 . shocked is not the word i would have used , anyway i startedgleevec400 mg and within a month i was in remission, great news , i got back to my normal life back at work and playing sports . side effects were mild , cramp being the worst . moving on after 14 years trouble free i was diagnosed with heart failure. don't know wether it was the drug or my age i was 60 .anyway i ended up having a stroke , not nice . i decided to come off the treatment and went to see richard clark at liverpool . he changed my treatment to dasani nib and again gained remission quite quickly and no side effects so by now 16 years after diagnosis and a few hiccups i was back to my best in 2016 . 

my life seemed good but my blood counts were not very good and in 2017 i was sent  for a bone marrow biopsy at wigan , i thought the worst and this week went for the results from dr amhed. B info he gave me the news i wanted i was clear and it was the dasatinib causing my bloods to vary , he also said it could have been the heart failure or my kidneys causing this but said we should keep to the original dose and if needed reduce it if my bloods got worse.

so all in all a good journey with a few ups and downs but let me assure you all reading this . this drug is a game changer along with all the other tiki drugs coming online keep going listen to your doc and thank god for all the clever people out there who gave us these drugs leukaemia is not the killer it was . my prognosis at time of diagnosis was 3 years 16 years later and i'm enjoying life to the full .cheeky

Welcome, Keith!

Whilst unfortunately it's not the case for every patient, it's always great to hear from people who've been through a long and ultimately successful journey with CML

David.

yes and i understand that , i have spent many hours in waiting rooms looking round at people who have not been as lucky as me . my journey as been long and hard at times but the support i have had as been 1st class the stroke i had changed me a lot and i have been in some dark places for sure , but with help especially from my wife debbie and children joanne and chris i would not have made it through . so yes i do feel for those who didn't make it and a few have been friends . my message is don't give up  keep knocking the walls down and opening the doors and if you are lucky like me you will feel better and view life in a different way .