You are here

Nose bleeds

Hello everyone I hope everyone is well? I don't post very often but am a bit concerned as my husband who was diagnosed in 2006 with cml keeps having nosebleeds, he has had a nosebleed everyday for the past 4 days. Is this normal or does it mean his cml is getting worse? I'd appreciate any input. Thankyou.
Belinda .

Hello Belinda,

while i can't offer any specific advice about the nose bleeds themselves, I do have sinus and ENT problems brought about (I think) by my TKI. What I can say is that the PCR results are key; assuming your husband is on a 3-monthly testing regime, then remind yourself of the last PCR result and how this looks against the trend. Assuming it is low i.e. less than 1% and you consider CML is a slow moving disease, then in the balance of probabilities it is unlikely the CML is causing the nose bleed themselves. Although i don't have a clinical reference, my understanding is clinical signs/symptoms start presenting at a PCR above 10%-15%. It is unlikely the CML could have progressed to such an extent in a short space of time.

That leaves two possible explanations:

1. Side effect of his TKI which is either getting worse or just 'having a cyclic effect' which will calm down.

2. Something unrelated to the TKI (or CML for that matter)

In your shoes I would contact the centre where your husband is treated for CML and ask their advice; they will either ask him to come in or advise a GP visit. It may be that an alternative TKI will be the way forward if the current TKI is determined to be causing the nosebleeds.

Let us know what happens.

Chris

Hi Belinda

It would be worth your husband getting his bloods checked to see if the TKI is affecting the way his blood is clotting, this is probably more the case rather than his CML progressing. It could also be completely unrelated but maybe better to have it checked.

Hope all goes well

K

Hi, my husband also has CML and he has nosebleeds and he is currently in hospital. Last week for six days. He had a  transfusion of platelets on the day the pack came out and a follow up five days later. Two days later he has been re- admitted. Any ideas anyone?