You are here

Joint and Muscle pain?

Categories:

Hi all. Just I would ask my fellow CML'ers on here if they had experienced similar problems to me. I have posted on here before about some of the joint or muscle pain I have been suffering from. Its 18 month from my diagnosis now and my PCR and bloods are all fine. However I have experienced pain in my knees, hips, shoulder, back and neck, basically everywhere. I began treatment on Imatinib 400mg daily and this got me an approx PCR of 0.1% in the 7 month I was taking it, however my Consultant said I maybe suffering due to the TKI and after a brief treatment holiday I was switched to Nilotinib 150mg twice per day, at first I felt much better and 11 month from diagnosis started to feel good, however over the past 7 month I have begun to feel like a an old man again. I'm only 34 and was always active and fit before being diagnosed. I am extremely grateful for the TKIs out there but the last 18 month have been painful. I have been told of some arthritis in my right knee. I just seem to hurt and stay hurt these days, I pulled my shoulder/back in May and have had a hard time ever since. Has anyone on here been on Imatinib/Nilotinib for a prolonged period of time and suffered in a similar fashion. I just feel like I'm ageing really quick, popping and cracking etc. I have a 11 month old son and constantly worry about being fit for him, my wife, work, mortgage and the general future. We both really would like another child but at the moment it would just feel impossible. My Consultant is talking about a dose reduction or another switch as my PCR was around the 0.01% last time. Also I asked a question at the CML day a few back about prolonged TKI use leading to any other condition and it was mentioned that most side effects could be stopped and reversed but I was more talking about deterioration of joints and so on. I know joint pain is supposed to be a side effect but I wondered how joint pain could be sustained for so long without damage, why does the TKI actually cause joint pain? I am starting with supplements again and have in the past taking low dose Glucosamine and Multivitamins but still feel the same. Thanks in advance, John

Hi John,

I'm on dasatinib, but having read your message it struck a chord with me.

On imatinib, I had really awful joint / bone and muscle pain that I had to eventually discontinue taking it. It got to be unbearable.

So, when I started on dasatinib things were great. The pain I had from imatinib subsided and I was very happy with that. However, it never really went away fully. It's all manageable, but I end up with very tight calves / ankles that are stubborn in stretching out. Ankles feel like someone much older than me (35), which can be painful sometimes.

I've just come back from seeing a manual therapy guy this morning - feels good, but we'll have to wait and see how effective this will be over the next few weeks.

If you come across anything that helps you, let me know - and similarly I'll let you know if this manual therapist does anything that is helpful for me.

David.

Hi David,

Thanks for getting back. Good to hear from someone my sort of age on this.

If you don't mind me asking, how long were you on Imatinib before you stopped and also, did you find the joint, bone and muscle pain gradually got worse before stopping? Was it localised to a specific area I.e your ankles? Sorry to hear your still having issues. Have you had CML long?

I really hope you get somewhere with your therapist, if I find anything that makes an impact then I will be sure to let you know. Its great that TKIs treat the disease but at the moment I'm in a bit of a low spot with the pain on a daily basis.

Thanks.
John

Hi John,

I was diagnosed almost exactly 2 years ago.

I was on imatinib for just under 3 months. At the time, I was complaining in clinic every week but the doctor thought it would likely sort itself out, and since it was working nicely changing right away didn't feel like the best option. I just had a pretty chunky codeine prescription to keep me company.

However, the pains got worse and worse. It was deep, dull bone pain, also with very tight muscles. But the real problem was these sort of lightning bolts I'd get up and down my legs and arms - almost like an electric shock. Very intense, and I was spared by the fact that they wouldn't last too long. Still, it hurt like hell. The low point was not being able to make it to the gate at the airport when I was visiting family in Ireland - they had to pop me in a wheelchair. That was the point that we decided to take me off imatinib to see if that really was the cause. Based on half-lives, it was estimated it would take 4 days to wash out of my system sufficiently to see if it was the imatinib that was causing my pain (and not the diease, or something else). Anyway, right on cue the pains went so we knew it was imatinib.

I moved on to dasatinib right away and have never had the acute pains or the bone pain since. The muscle tightness below the knee remains, but I'll take that any day. Compared to the imatinib pain, it's a breeze.

The physical therapist I saw the other day made a difference alright. Definitely felt better a couple of days after it, but I'll need to see him a few times I think to get the proper benefit. He was all into manual stretching of the muscle and achilles tendon which he felt was a bit tighter than it ought to be. I'm definitely going back to see him.

Given I had this sort of leg pain from the off, I invested in a leg massaging machine a while back. I have to say, it was money well spent. I use it nearly daily and it helps squeeze the legs and helps with muscle stiffness. My health insurance company paid for it - it's an OSIM uPhoria.

David.

hi all..i been diagnosed a month ago.having had hodgkins lymphoma 3 years ago.
i am a 39 year old male and am currently on 400mg of glivec.
i too have moderate to severe pain especially in my right leg, to overcome this pain and make it managable i take 200mg of ibuprofen, which at the moment is very effective,i have tried several other painkillers but ibuprofen seems to be the only one working,my consultant has told me that this pain should ease over time .i wish yoou all well..

Hi Jas,
Welcome to this forum. I am sorry to hear you have to deal with yet another disease on top of dealing with HL- although I do understand that HL can be very effectively treated, I hope you are OK?

Your doctor is right when he says this particular imatinib side effect eases over time (for most usually within l2 weeks or so), I hope that is the case for you too.

However, I think ibuprofen is classed s an NSAID so you may want to check the safety of using it with imatinib as it has a warning of interaction imatinib.

See Medscape drug interaction check here: http://reference.medscape.com/drug-interactionchecker

imatinib + ibuprofen:
imatinib will increase the level or effect of ibuprofen by affecting hepatic enzyme CYP2C9/10 metabolism. Significant interaction possible, monitor closely.

Either increases toxicity of the other by other (see comment)

Comment: Imatinib may cause thrombocytopenia; bleeding risk increased when imatinib is coadministered with anticoagulants, NSAIDs, platelet inhibitors, and thrombolytic agents.

It may well be OK for you to use it temporarily but I would still check with your doctor and monitor your platelet level closely.

Meanwhile to counter the pain you should make sure you always keep your muscles and joints warm and also drink lots of water.
It is hard to know what painkillers to suggest- although ironically paracetamol may be the better option over ibuprofen-
ask your doctor about this although 200mg ibuprofen does not seem excessive- I suppose it depends on how many times a day you take it and how stable your platelet levels are.

Sandy

Hi David and Jas.

First of all David, its good to hear that your physio is working so early that you are seeing a difference. With regard to your Imatinib experience I had 7 month of gradual build up of tingling, aches, burning, joint pain that I was complaining monthly also. My consultant decided to suspend Imatinib for a few weeks which turned out to be six! Mind you after MRIs confirming nothing was happening with my aching hips and spine I gradually seemed to return to normal (well near enough!).

I was then switched to Nilotinib 300 mg twice a day, at first I felt great! I was feeling like I did before diagnosis. I did strain my mid back a little at work, but that was 5 month ago. I seem to get pain everywhere from neck, shoulder, spine, hip, knees and arms. In the last 3 month or so I have started to get tingling in my fingers and down left arm, like nerve pain. Its got me worried sick. I suppose the million dollar question is this muscularskeletal or TKI related? Bearing in mind before I strained my back I had 2 MRIs of my spine saying everything was normal. It seems to be worse if I'm tired, heavilly increase activity, or had long day at work.

I have googled Nilotinib and tingling or neuropathy is apparently a side effect. I have tried being off Nilotinib for 7 days but I seen no real improvement, a little like I saw no improvement 1 week off Imatinib.

So I wonder has anyone suffered tingling sensations on Nilotinib or any other TKI? My consultant is suggesting a possible reduction or switch but I don't want to jump ship if this is not TKI related. Hence me wondering if anyone else has suffered the same as me?

Hi Jas.

So sorry to hear you've been diagnosed. I am also sorry to hear that your experiencing joint aches on Imatinib. I would say that is very common for this to happen from what I've heard and usually the side effects settle gradually over the next few month for the vast majority, so try not to worry too much. Also there are many a TKI variant if Imatinib doesn't agree with you.

There are so many people who will offer you support for your questions on here so never feel alone in asking a question.

Take care all.
John

is there any new updates on this post? i was diagnosed 14 years ago, but joint pain just started a few weeks ago, gleevec until the generic came out, and the pain is very bad, the generic seems to cause issues

Hello John,

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your painful encounter with Nilotinib. I, myself have been diagnosed with the disease for 7 months (34yrs female) now and was immediately started on Nilotinib, 600mg daily. During the first week of TKI, i felt mild bone pain that localized in the shin area of my right leg which of course was a first for me. The bone pain was similar to how David described it, dull, but mine was accompanied by itchiness from inside the bone itself! I also experienced negligible numbness in my toes (mainly my 2nd and 3rd toes). And let's not forget the irritable tingling sensentions i'd get on arms, also very negligible and mild that i barely noticed when it started. Still, it certainly wasn't there before the Nilotinib regimen. Even though the pain/itchiness and numbness/tingling were mild and sporadic (once or twice a week at most which lasted less than a month), it gave me a good scare enough to book an appointment to see my clinician from get-go. Like many people on this forum, i was advised it was TKI's related, grade 1-2 nothing to be alarmed about. Also i was specifically told that because the pain wasn't debilitating enough i was to continue with the initial dose regimen. That advice rendered me feeling both helpless and angry for first time since my diagnosis. To the point that i spent all the time i could spare (even during lunchtimes at work) fervently reading about the disease and the nutritional/ physical health publications in hope to accomplish two basic understanding of; 1. CML as a disease and its available treatment therapies, and 2. Physical health and nutritional dietary strategies to help combat the possible adverse effects of Nilotinib. Long story short, in the last 6months i implemented a mild physical exertion in the form of daily 3-4km jogs to and from work. I also changed the food i eat (but not so dramastically) to include lots of fresh fruit and vegetables that contain plant vitamins A, E, and C and Omega 3 (the latter from fish with little to no mercury stores such as blue mackerels and sardines). This type of lifestyle change may seem rather severe to consider but i rather see it as a way to help my body to mitigate and prolong the invasive adverse effects and toxicity of the TKI. It work wonders for me from the start in such that those initial pains mentioned earlier dissipated within the first few weeks of my lifestyle change and i haven't experience any of those pains since. Touch wood. No, knock on solid-hard wood to keep it stay true! In a way i was blessed that i've found something that works so well for me personally, because i know that every person's physical anatomy is made up differently from the next person. So i sincerely hope and pray that you would find your fix to make those awful pains history so that you may have your wellness and wellbeing back for yourself and your family.

Best of luck with your cml, John.

(Ps. For Sandy and Davewell, i was relieved to get my 6month PCR Bcl-Abl reading to 0.08% IS, down from 0.9% of previous 3month's.)

HI Ellie,

Well done on finding a way to deal with your TKI related pain. It is all very well for clinicians to state that for side effects at grade 1 or 2 patients should be able to tolerate and/or continue as usual. We all know that this is easier said than done- especially in relation to joint and muscle pain. John-Paul has not updated this forum for some months, but I join you in hoping that he has found a way to deal with his side effects (which are at least grade 3/4). 

Although I am not currently treated withTKI therapy - I had an SCT in 2003 which fortunately was successful - I did suffer leg and joint pain for the first month of imatinib therapy, so I understand the constant stress of such pain. 

I have been trying to understand how and why joint and muscle pain (myalgias) can develop and came accross a book which discusses a condition called Fibromyalgia Syndrome (sometimes called fibrocitis) which may have anwers for some of us. 

What Your Dr May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia: The Revolutionary Treatment That Can Reverse the Disease  – 
by R. Paul St. Amand (Author), Claudia Marek (Author)

see the authors website here

Congratulations on your 6 month PCR result yes

Sandy

Hi

Ellie, first of all many thanks for your very kind wishes, and ofcourse your input regarding dietry change. I have also looked into diet changes and have been bread/pastry free for the past 3 month.

Despite spending time away from the forum, I seen your post and felt compelled to respond with thanks and hopefully some words of encouragement. It is very positive that you have seen better results on your pain level and your general well being. I think your dietary change can only be positive holistically. I think you are very much in the early stage of treatment, the fact you are seeing a decrease in your pain bodes very well and most patients have a bumpy first 12 month, physically and emotionally. Give yourself time and be kind to yourself. Well done on coaching yourself on scholarly articles over lunch, again the more you know the better (healthy balance ofcourse). Your emotion of anger toward being told how you should feel about your pain is something I have a lot of sympathy with. I also saw your post responding to mental/emotional issues and despite being very early in your diagnosis you seem to have a very good handle on things.

There seems to be a wide spectrum in opinion from one doc to another from my experience, in relation to what is normal with side effects. I think this forum reflects that. I sincerely wish you all the best and you continue to see improvements.

An update regarding myself; My pain is a strange phenomenon, in the sense it is like a movement roulette. This is best described as; every time I move, I don't know if I will pull a muscle, get joint pain, ache, will it go on for days or weeks. In the morning my hips ache from pressure pain from lying on either side. Stiffness is there too. Feels like an arthritic problem, I have a persistent elevated IGA, other markers are fine. It can be so frustrating. Frustration over the past 4 year has been my biggest emotion.

I have attempted to spend some time away from the forum, indeed the CML community. For one reason or another I have found myself a square peg in a round hole with my CML. I have travelled the length and breadth of the country and emailed people internationally as well. I basically feel like I don't champion the same "normal life" soundbites some professionals and indeed patients champion. For me having CML has been anything but a normal life, I have lost many things from my career, to being able to dress myself with ease. This has all had a massive effect on my family. I have stressed time and time again that I seem to be a minority. However minorities exist, It has been hard being told by some people without CML that people lead a normal life, when I have CML and don't. I had no prior health history before starting to feel unwell in the months leading to diagnosis.

Moving forward I have been in discussion with a consultant about a NM bone scan to rule out a co-existing histiocytic disorder in a few weeks. It was also mentioned to have a trial of Hydroxeacarbomide, then maybe an empiric trial of iv pamidronate or sub cut Denosumab. 

Failing all this and no improvements from these measures, an Autologous Transplant has been suggested by 2 well respected consultants to potentially reboot my immune system. Whilst not fully removing the potential for disease relapse, it has been discussed as a less evasive option to trial. It was indicated the transplant would potentially be enough of a hit that my peripheral tissue myeloid compartment would be replenished by cells with normal genotype? Some of my musculoskeletal issues started in the months leading to diagnosis. Some docs have shrugged at the correlation of bone pain, weight loss, crepitus, constant colds, night sweats *before* diagnosis... which to me is mystifying. 

With regard to Sandy and Fibromyalgia, thanks for the link. I have looked at this topic in some depth and it would seem to be a bit of a catch all for chronic pain from some in medicine, it is definitely a misundertood phenomenon. In the last chat I had with a BMT Prof' he encouragingly indicated that Fibro was perhaps the end product, but attention needs to be on the root cause, and if it can be stopped, I very much agree.

I have had some improvements this year, and I am pushing my hardest to avoid transplant. I think being on high dose Codeine, Pregabilin, Ibuprofen, Paracetamol on top of full dose Bosutinib may be the reason for feeling small improvements in my daily functions. With the pain relief there is a trade off too ofcourse, all a balancing act. Pain wise, the improvements are very sporadic, as is my ability to do activities with ease. Overall, if I was 10/10 a year before diagnosis, I was probably 7/10 six month prior to diagnosis, I am now a fluctuating 4/10 four years on. I still get stuck pulling doors, don't lift things, get into/out of chairs like an old man, I perform tasks with trepidation and look blocky. My son is now 4 and I haven't lifted him for a few year and I am desperate to improve for him, work, the future. Fatigue is also a big issue.

I hope I have made anyone feeling pains ealry on at diagnosis better as pain seems very common until things settle, but also I have been realistic that for a minority this is not a gift or a walk in the park. CML is a serious condition, which impacts us all in different ways.

John-Paul

Dear John,

My heart breaks when i started to read your latest response.

It's unthinkable that anyone should have to live with such severe and intense chronic amount of pains everyday and get told to lead a normal life. Certainly, I was angry when i was told that there was nothing i could do with my sporadic mild bone pain at the beginning with nilotinib - but compare with what you've got, mine seemed somewhat miniscule and phony.

You were right in saying that the pains you feel being a strange phenomenon because i tried to look up medical journals on musculoskeletal issues with TKIs but found no specific ones that relate to the intensity with which you've described. But all that proves to me is that there are even rarer adverse events out there associate with and/ or exacerbate by the use of a TKI. And it is a proof of concept that given their rarity, these debilitating adverse events can and do occurred to subjects outside of both control and trial settings. And you are proven to be one of those rarer few who were forced to draw the short end of the stick to experience the uglier sides of CML.

You mentioned your steady rise of Iga level, mine it is Ige. My clinician was concerned it was an onset of allergic or celiac condition or sinus infection but i have no associated symptoms of those health issues so it was rather odd. Plus overall i feel fine in the general health speaking. So, then the elevation of my Ige level might be inherent to nilotinib which i hope will continue to have nothing to show.

Regarding your pains, it's wonderful to hear that there's an improvement but i still hope the specialists can at least pinpoint the source of the problem so that a definitive treatment can be implemented to stop it altogether. To be in severe pains but not knowing what causes them must be so frustrating and exhausting for you.

After all said and done, i will still continue to wish you the very best of chance in your endeavors to find a definitive alternative and safe treatment to ease your chronic condition.

So good luck and take great care of yourself, John.

Best Regards,
Ellie.
Ps. I was so glad to see your updates and wished i could've seen it sooner. Similar to you, I also don't frequent the forum often due to hectic daily schedules.

Dear John

I have read your story and watched the video where you discussed your side effects with the CML community at large, and I wanted to send you my good wishes.  Your experience with the TKis and with this condition of CML is so different to that of most patients, and it just seems so unfair to me that you should be having these life-changing side effects to a medication that works so well for most.  I can fully understand your frustration and I truly hope that somewhere, somehow, someone will be able to bring you relief from this debilitating pain.

Even though it will be small consolation, I would also like to make you aware of what an inspiration you are to others.  Your experience makes my journey sound like a walk in the park, and I am inspired by your determination and positive attitude in the face of so much pain.  I hope that this doesn't sound like an empty platitude or condescending, and I apologise if it does, but know that there are many people thinking of you all over the world and hoping for some relief for you.

With good wishes from South Africa

Martin 

Hi Ellie/Martin

Many thanks for your very nice words of help and encouragement.

Ellie, regarding your elevated IGE marker, I wonder if this had been elevated before your CML diagnosis? The reason I ask, is when I found out my IGA was elevated I was about two year into diagnosis. It transpired this was elevated since my initial blood test when I switched to my centre for excellence approx 3 month post diagnosis. When I tried to get pre CML blood tests which may have encompassed the IGA marker I found none. So for me to discover a baseline of markers to see if the IGA marker climbed before, on, or just after CML has become a bit of dead end. I wonder if my IGA is the smoking gun on top. As I have said I was in tip-top physical condition 6 to 12 month prior to diagnosis. Mind I am also conscious you can take yourself off down all avenues when you are desperate to find a correlation of problem/solution. I do find it very interesting your Dr wonders if an allergy is present.

Now all treatment options on the table are purely speculative. I am still awaiting my nuclear medicine bone scan. I suspect if there were any hot spots of problems it would be my thoracic spine area/SI joints/knees.

I am not sure if I will ever get to the bottom. Meanwhile I am just trying to build day on day and limit the set backs.

I have spoken to a couple of people who have had similar issues to me in the CML world. Hopefully one day this all just rights itself.

Thanks Martin for your very kind words, At no point did I find your response a platitude or condescending. Completely the opposite. Thanks again.

I wish you all the best of health to help with your respective journeys with CML, and all the trials and tribulations that come along with it, large or small.

Take care of yourselves.

John

I feel you. I've been on Gleevec 400mg for 11 months and I can't take the pain anymore it's unbearable . I have pain from my head to my toes and I'm switching to Tasigna 300mg twice a day because my levels went from 5% to 27% . My oncologist wanted me to do 800mg of Gleevec but I told him no way possible. I told him I wanted to try Tasigna or I was getting off everything and just going to let life run it's course because I work construction and the pain I have makes it very hard to work more than 4-5 hours without crying . I used to be a bodybuilder and haven't been in the gym since I started Gleevec because of the severe bone pain and pain in all my joints. I can barely hold a 10lb dumbell in my hand because of the sharp pains I get. I lose my hammer at work sometimes because I get sharp pains and drop it or just lose strength. I'm praying that Tasigna gives me some relief . I also need to go back to my bodybuilding diet but just haven't had much of an appetite at all. I just need the pain to go away about half so I can start working out so my appetite comes back and a little energy. Thanks to everyone who reply's because it gives me some hope that at least half the pain might go away. 

This may not help at all, but I've been reading lately about the "interstitium" - which is a relatively obscure almost-organ that is throughout our bodies - like collagen, a connective thing.  But it is fluid-based.  Anyway, I also remember reading once that most if not all the TKI's mess with the balance of the interstitial cell fluid, thereby causing a lot of our side effects, from periorbital edema on down.  I can't help but wonder if the generalized, whole-body pain you all are describing possibly resides in the interstitium, only presenting as bone or muscle or joint pain.  Even if this is somewhat true, of course, what can be done about it?  It's possible Bosutinib is "better" as it affects only Src kinases, and I believe it's the PDGFR kinases that are the worst culprits for edema.  Dunno.  So very, very sorry for all of you who suffer through this.  I have to confess tremendous bitterness at the loss of my former life, from fatigue.  I've many times wondered if it's worth it, which of course, is not an "allowable" statement!  But everybody here understands, at least.

I'm on Tasigna and so far so good within the first week. Some pain has subsided and I'm feeling a little bit better but we will see after a few months of the Tasigna being in my body what it does to me. I work outside and I'm not looking forward to wearing long sleeves because Tasigna can cause a rash if I'm in the sun and I had to change all my body soaps and deoderant to no fragrance . If the bone pain goes away I can live with being neon white lol

Hello to all

i was diagnosed with CML 11 months ago.  I started on 400mg of imatinib.  My WBC went too low after 2 months and I had severe pain in my upper thigh.  I was switched to 300mg and my WBC count leveled off to a normal range and for several months had no more muscle pain.  I am at 0.01% which is great news but for the past month I’ve had dibilating pain in my right calf.  For a couple of days I could barely stand to take a shower.  My doctor put me on prednisone and that helped relieve the swelling.  It has left the right leg and now I have some bone pain in the left leg and I have this large lump; like a circular swollen lump too.  My calf feels tight, like a rubber band about to snap.  Has anyone else had a swollen lump on the legs?  I had just retired 6 wks ago and started going to the gym 5 days week.  After the second week the severe leg pains started.  Very disheartening as I was finally able to devote time to getting in shape.  Has anyone found that physical activity triggers the swelling and pain of muscles and bone? I feel for everyone who is suffering with this pain because it really does change your lifestyle.  I’m supposed to go to Europe with my husband and daughter in 6 wks. Now I’m afraid to go.  There will be lots of walking.  This was my retirement gift for myself.  I kept an account for 10 years just for this.  Any suggestions? Should I go?  Take more prednisone with me? Does physical therapy help?  Sometimes my pain is so bad I can’t even touch the area.  

Coupla things come to mind:  red painful lumps in your calves sounds a lot like erythema nodosum, which is annoying but treatable and eventually goes away.  Bone pain/muscle spasms - maybe magnesium deficiency due to the TKI?  See Scuba and Trey.  Possibly also, deep vein thromboses?  At any rate, go see your primary care doctor, not the onc.  And try to push back against the catastrophic thinking - you will probably have the Best Time Ever in Europe and walk up a storm.  Gotta get on top of this problem first, that's all.

I had erythema nodosum many years ago and they never figured out why, having ruled out the usual stuff for that.  My doc assured me that was often the case.  It took many months to wean off the prednisone, but it had worked immediately and steadily - in the meantime, it gave me tons of energy and made me happy all the time.  I remember it fondly.  smileySadly, no one can stay on the magic stuff because it wreaks havoc on every organ system, longterm.  Interestingly, one of the causes listed for erythema nodosum is leukemia - fancy that - but this was years before my diagnosis.  Makes me wonder, tho' - was it the first harbinger of disaster?

Let us know what happens.

Thanks for the feedback.  I have been checked for Deep vein thrombosis, don’t have that, thank goodness. I am taking magnesium supplements as well as drinking tonic water (quinine supposedly helps a bit) I’m going to look into that erythema nodosum condition.  I do have to push back on the negative thoughts but the pain really gets to me at times.  Do you find that working out; treadmill, bikes, etc , exacerbate or trigger the muscle or bone pain? I am going to bring prednisone with me on the trip but you’re right... you can’t take it for too long.  Thanks for the feedback 

I hope you have time to see your primary care doc before the trip - if it is erythema nodosum, you need to jump on it quickly with professional medical guidance.  It may involve a punch biopsy, so you'll need more time.

I do find that anything I exert myself physically to do (yard work, walking, carrying groceries and laundry, old lady stretching videos) makes me inordinately sore.  I usually retreat in alarm, frustration, dismay and shame and stop doing whatever it is that made me sore.  Yeah, I know - thereby ensuring that the whole cycle gets worse . . .

I have been on 100 mg of dasatinib for two weeks and all of a sudden it made my peripheral neuropathy worse and gave me shin splits and terrible behind the knee pain. Could not sit or lay down - UGH! I had to take Tramadol to sleep. My DO stretched me out and my oncologist told me to get off the drug for two days. Wow! No pain! I guess I will have to try a different drug or lower dose. 

I thank you for this forum as I see it's not unusual to have muscle pain on this medication.

Hi Harriet 

so sorry to hear about your pain. Restarting see if your doctor will agree to 50 mg instead of a 100. Def less side effects and hopefully just as effective with the CML. What helped persuade my husband’s oncologist was showing him research papers showing good results at this dose. Scuba posted links to Kirk’s recent post I believe. 

Magnesium and vit D can help. My husband also sought out a chiropractor.

keep well, Louise 

I feel your pain . I was on Tasigna but could not take the rashes and itchyness all the time. I went back on Gleevec and the bone pain and joint pain has returned so bad and everytime I get hurt it takes months for a injury to heal . I just went to my Oncologist and asked if there was anything he could do for the bone and joint pain and he told me that my pain wasn't from the Leukemia nor was it from the Gleevec . I hate ignorant people and especially hate doctors afraid to prescribe me pain medication because he doesn't know how to explain to the government that some people need opiods for pain. He told me my pain must be from something else because Leukemia and Gleevec don't cause bad pain . I just looked at him and said really ? I'm going to switch Cancer doctors because I can't stand that I'm paying him my hard earned money and he won't give me the time to help me . I'm in so bad of a pain in my bones and joints that it is hard for me to walk without pain meds .

My oncologist agreed that muscle cramps in my calves and fingers can be from the Gleevec.

Take 400 mg magnesium citrate or magnesium taurate (avoid magnesium oxide) - split 200 at night before bed and 200 in the morning.

Good chance your muscle cramps will disappear. You'll know the fist night you take it.

And you'll sleep better.

Gleevec can cause magnesium depletion.

(I had muscle cramping taking Gleevec. Started taking magnesium and the cramps disappeared overnight)