You are here

Help with FAA

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone can help in a situation I'm in with the FAA and with some questions. My dream is to do commercial flying and work with aircrafts. However, in 2007 I was diagnosed with cml and lymphoma. I underwent chemotherapy and beat two cancers; amen! My cancer doctors want me on the taisigna for the rest of my life to combat the chronic cancer. I've been taking the mess and I don't feel any of the side effects; I am currently driving and working while taking the mess. Now that I'm feeling better I took the class 1 medical exam to get a private pilot license. When the general surgeon of the FAA looked over my report, he denied my airman privileges! I sent a reconsideration letter to FAA stating that tasigna does not hinder me in any way, but I was still denied. I feel like I failed a test without having the chance to take it! So my questions are as follows: should I asking FAA for clearance? Should I try getting my private in another country? Or should I set my sights on other aviation jobs such as a&up mechanic? I would really appreciate some advice at this point, thank you for reading.

Hi, although I can't give direct advice on this there has been other conversations by other members on this very subject- see the link to that thread below. Congratulations on overcoming both Lymphoma and CML.
Sandy

http://www.cmlsupport.org.uk/node/7289

Maybe talk with an aviation attorney that can maybe help you get your medical. My brother is an aviation attorney and his website is .......... There are a lot of good aviation attorneys out there that usually can help. Good luck!

Hello

I was recently denied my medical on account of taking Tasigna so I'm now putting together a comprehensive package as part of a review/appeal.  In speaking with the local FAA Surgeon, who by the way is very willing to help push the appeal along, it seems the pharmacological committee's reason for banning Tasigna is the due to the potential side effects it has on some patient's heart rhythm.  Since Gleevec is approved for use, I assume this is either not an issue or one the FAA has been able to live with given regular reporting.  If anyone has any guidance on how to position the argument for appeal, I would greatly welcome the feedback. 

Thank you

Brooks