You are here

Blood work results that prompted investigation

Categories:

Hi all....i am just wondering what in your blood work originally prompted further investigation?

Hi Carrie,

Almost always, it's an elevated white blood cell count (neutrophils, particularly) is the marker than is seen in blood that causes further investigation, leading to a CML diagnosis. However, why someone needed the blood work done in the first place is much more varied. For some people it was for something routine before their CML became symptomatic, for others they were exhibiting symptoms of CML and got themselves checked out. For me it was problems with my eyes.

David. 

Hi David
Thank you for replying. I am being treated for an autoimmune disease so I have lots of routine blood work.
Over the last 4 months my platelets and WBC count has been rising and my neutrophil count is always the high one. The last two have showed Immature granulocytes. With the last two tests my rheumatologist who never gets back to me wanted a follow up booked for this Wed.
Needless to say that I am worried from what I have read and see in my blood that CML may be very likely.

Carrie,

Though high white cell and neutrophil counts are a CML marker, that's not the only reason you would see them elevated. A routine bacterial infection would also see elevated levels of those cells, for example. 

The definitive CML test is via a bone marrow biopsy, but in most cases it's pretty easy to tell with a high degree of confidnce from examining blood cells through a microscope. The leukeamic cells as immature and to a trained eye are quite apparent in the blood. 

If you are concerned about a potential CML diagnosis, ask your doctor to investigate the possibility - however stay open to the idea that it may be because of something much more mundane and perhaps transient. 

David. 

Hi, I have an appt with my general doctor tomorrow and have been researching my blood test results. My platelets were high 540, up from 425 from a blood test 2+ years ago. This time my Monocytes and Eosinophils were slightly higher than the range. Any thoughts on how i should talk with the doctor? I am not iron deficient because i just gave blood and it was fine. thanks for any input!!