You are here

Your (first) name in lights?

Janssen, a large pharmaceutical company with an interest in blood cancers, are supporting a public awareness event about this group of cancers at a major London visitor attraction at the end of this year.  We have been asked, as have other patient groups with a focus on blood cancers, to find 10 patients who would like to contribute to the event.

You can travel to London to have your height measured by the artist in person, complete a personal ‘you and your CML’ history template and sign a consent form to say you are willing to participate and allow your details to be used to form the artwork. If you would like to take part but live outside of London and cannot easily travel in, the organisers have now told us that it is possible to do all the personal history stuff remotely....by email with the artist.

The event features an artwork in the form of a light installation, where letters of a patient’s first name form an illuminated plinth that corresponds with their height. A participant’s treatment history will be etched on one or more of the letters that make up their individual plinth.

In all, there will be around 100 illuminated name plinths that will be assembled in Paternoster Square outside St Paul's Cathedral in central London.

I should stress that only first names and general patient experiences will be featured, so personal details, photographs or contact details will not be publically available or visible to visitors to the square.

In addition to the 100 name plinths, there will be other plinths populated with general educational material about different types of blood cancers, including CML.

If you are interested in taking part, please email cmlsupportgroup@gmail.com as soon as possible as there is a very tight deadline to fill our quota of 10 participants

The deadline for submission of participants is the 9th July. CMLSg will pay any travel expenses involved for those patients who are willing to take part.

Sandy,

I'd be happy to, and of course already in London. But if we find more people than spaces, I'll happily drop off.

David

Hi David,

I'll add you to the list.... so far 3 so 7 places to fill.  I can update that the organisers have now said that it is not essential that people need travel to London to have their height measured, so maybe this fact may interest more people who would like to be involved. 

Sandy

Hi there.  I have just emailed the organisers as I'd be happy to take part.  I might even go along since it's just down the road!