You are here

CML and pregnancy

Hi, I've recently been diagnosed with CML. They picked it up on my regular pregnancy blood test. It's picked up at very early stage at the moment I don't need treatment. Is there anyone on here that's pregnant with cml and on treatment?

Hi Zara,

I'm sorry to hear your news. It must have been an awful shock at what was otherwise a very exciting time.

It's good news that it appears it's at an early stage. CML and pregnancy don't really go together very well, especially when the disease in in "full swing" or when the pregnancy was unplanned whilst taking CML medication.

Have you got any results from tests from the hospital? Was a bone marrow biopsy taken from you?

If your CML is in a very early stage, they may just wait until the pregnancy is complete before starting treatment and monitor you carefully in-between. Or they may look to treat you with interferon during the pregnancy (which is perfectly safe), and then start you on the CML specific medication after.

You might want to watch this video, which "stars" Jane Apperley (from Hammersmith Hospital) who is one of the foremost authorities on CML and pregnancy. Please don't get too alarmed at some of the parts of the video which talk about pregnancy issues - these are generally someone who was already taking CML medicine and became pregnant - a very different situation to yours.

https://vimeo.com/122360633 

David.

Thanks David for the kind words. It was a complete shock. I had infertility issues, so this baby was a miracle after 6 years.

When I went for my normal pregnancy test the white cell count was 16. As the pregnancy progressed the cells doubled. Now I'm 18 weeks pregnant and they have gone up 40. I'm being monitored by a haematologist.
If the cell count goes over 80 then they will start the injections. I'm hoping and praying they stay stable.

I imagine those infections might be interferon injections - if it is, it’s nothing to be scared of. Interferon has a long history and is well understood. So long as you are frequently monitored, and there’s a good team of medics around you that’s what you need.

Where are you being treated, if you don’t mind me asking?

I’ll try that video link again: https://vimeo.com/122360633 it seems to work for me. Please let me know if you have trouble.

David.

I live in Lincolnshire and I'm being treated in City hospital in Nottingham.

Hi Zara, 

City Hospital is one of the UK major centres for CML. If your white count does get higher than 80 you might want to ask if your doctors if they can control the counts by a procedure called 'leukapheresis' where they remove the extra white cells and is often used to control counts until you give birth. 

Sandy