You are here

Nausea

Categories:

I have been taking Imatinib 400mg for a long time. After a few years I started to suffer from nausea shortly after taking the tablets. An endoscopy showed that i had stomach ulcers. This issue was solved by taking an over-the-counter drug called Omeprazole (Omesec) to get rid of the ulcers, which i am convinced were caused by Imatinib tablets. But as far as I am aware this is not a common problem.

For me, the nausea and ulcers are no longer an issue because now i always dissolve each Imatinib tablet in a glass of water and drink it after a meal. Tablets normally take about 45 minutes to dissolve in water. Usually I drop a tablet in a glass of water in the morning ready to be taken with a meal later in the day or evening. Incidentally, this method of taking Imatinib is given in the package leaflet provided in each box of tablets. So if anyone has a problem with nausea after swallowing the tablets whole, it may be worth dissolving them instead. It worked for me.

Oh thats interesting!

My cure for post imatanib nausea is 2 big squares of dark chocolate.

Hi Brian

While not as bad as ulcers, I had significant acid reflux on imatinib (I was a bit prone to it before I started but it was much worse on imatinib).  I think you may be right that the ulcers were down to imatinib, or at least made worse by it.  Seems likely to me as imatinib is known to be a stomach irritant. I also had post-imatinib nausea. 

The solution to the first problem in my case was also omeprazole, and it worked very well indeed.  Omeprazole is good for both ulcers and substantial reflux.

The solution to the second for me at least was to take imatinib after a decent meal - not with a meal and certainly not before it.  So long as I ate properly before taking the pill, preferably with something starchy like potato or pasta, or rice, the problem never arose again.  I only got hit if I hadn't had a sufficient meal - got me once or twice, usually when away from home.

I am now off all medication following a stopping trial and the reflux is largely better now (and no longer imatinib related), and of course no nausea (which was reduced considerably when I went on half dose at the start of the trial).

Best

Richard

Hi EVA,

Thank you for your tip , it works perfectly . I use 2-3 squares of dark chocolate every morning after imanitib 400 mg and no more nausea :)