You are here

Your name in lights - the event!

Hi there.  Sandy posted a thread about this a while ago (called "your name (first) in lights") a good few weeks ago now - and the event is on 4 September in Paternoster Square, which is right by St Paul's Cathedral in London.  I am taking part - and just wondered whether anyone from here is too.  I have taken the afternoon off work (how daring). Haven't met anyone with CML before (as far as I know!) so think it would be quite nice!  Do let me know.  Thank you! 

Oh, I'll be in London then. Whats the details? Do I have to sign up before?

I'm taking part in it too, and will be there. Will pop along during my (extended) lunch hour.

David.

‘Your Name in Lights’ is the formal title of the event ‘Make Blood Cancer Visible’ -  a public awareness campaign to educate the public about blood cancers in general and particularly the less well known blood cancers, like CML.

Nine blood cancer patient organisations are participating, including CMLSg, with each allocated a number of patients to represent a particular condition (CML included seven patients).

The event organisers are Janssen, a pharmaceutical company, and it is they who have commissioned an artist to produce the installations, each of which will represent a named patient.

Hence “your name in lights” although this will be limited to first names, with the size of each of installation being the individual patient’s height. The installation will also include diagnosis and other brief details from a ‘patient story‘ which each patient has been asked to supply.

The launch is on the 4th of September at 12.30 at: 

The Happenstance, 10 Paternoster Square, London EC4M 7DX

which is next to St Paul’s cathedral- the installation will be outside in the Square. Nearest Underground station is St Paul’s on the Central Line.

For those patients who have given their consent, there will be a group photograph and possibly a video recording at the launch event. Janssen is making a big push to attract TV, radio, online and print media to the launch.

The illuminated installations (104 pieces in total) will be displayed in the Square during September.

The Square is a public space and anyone can come along on the 4th, or any other day during September, to view them.

If you can come along between 12.30 and 1.30 I will be there as will others from CMLSg

Over the last 15 + years, TKI treatment has transformed the outlook for the majority of CML patients. Although there have been improvements in the outlook for patients diagnosed with other blood cancers, the success of treatments for CML has not been replicated elsewhere.

Sandy

I'm going to come along to happenstance. I'll be the one with a dark grey backpack with red straps!