You are here

Taurine supplements

Hi Avril,

I am responding because I would like to find a solution to muscle cramps.Some nights I am up 3 or 4 times gradually stretching or massaging the cramped muscle or tendon usually in the legs.It usually takes about 7 minutes of total agony before it subsides.When it affects both legs at the same time it is difficult.I talked to my physio on this and explained that it was a bit different from the footballers cramp on the field as strong stretching is not possible and totally painful.I have tried trying to be totally hydrated plus have tried lots of tonic water because of the quinine but have hesitated to ask my doctor a quinine sulphate medicine as long term I believe it might be hard on the heart.

The only other solution is in the day regular stretching against the wall or on the stairs.-but needs to be done very regularly.

I have looked up a little on taurine supplements but it seems that the key is the correct dose as like all supplements high doses might lead to muscle damage.Is this a dose that gym goers use to build up muscle and strength?

And last of all how would it interact with a TKI? I wonder if anyone else has any observations/solutions.

Best wishes

John

Hi Avrill and John

Have you tried the magnesium oil spray? It can be bought online through Amazon or from Holland and Barrett or from Ancient MInerals online (probably the purist). It just needs rubbing on which is good for cramp anyway and I've found it alleviates the cramp. My husband also uses it - recovering from a snapped Achilles tendon and it helps him as well. We keep it by the bed.

Best

Chrisie

Thank you John. I haven't tried it yet. Just been reading about it. I had posted before asking if anyone else had noticed they were wheat intolerant since taking imatinib. Since I cut wheat out my bowel movements are normal but the muscle cramps are worse. I do the stretching exercises every night before bed which is helping but the other night had a crippling cramp early evening in my leg lasting about 6 mins. So distressing and left an ache that lasted days. Will ask Doc on next appointment.

Hi Chrissie,
Hadn't heard of magnesium oil. Will look out for that in Holland Barret. Thankyou.

I am not sure how much anyone of you believe in Aurvedic oils and how much its available in the UK but the aurvedic oil that i got from kerala india helped me loads and now i don't have any cramps whatsoever. If anyone needs help in getting them i could try and help but i imagine it should be available in the UK or online.

Ajuvedic medicine is way, way older than school medicine (thousands compared to 100s) so it has a lot of good remedies...only hard thing is to find a good Ayuveda Doc - India or elsewhere.

Anyway, I had LOTS of calve cramps before my diagnose in teh accelerated phase, and as Magnesium is one major player in relieving cramps, I eat more dark chocolate since then - surprisingly there is more Magnesium in Dark Chocolate / Cocoa than in Bananas: www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-foods-high-in-magnesium#section1

If anyone wants to try the pure form, you can buy raw (organic) Cocoa "Nibs" (..funny it has the "nib" as Imatinib) on eBay which are simply crushed Cocoa Beans you can grind further and add to your food... but - the Chocolate is so much more tempting in the evening ;)