You are here

Nilotinib and hair loss

Categories:

I was diagnosed with CML in June 2017, and started Nilotinib on the 7 July.  So far treatment appears to be going well and I am suffering minor side effects (tiredness and intermittent muscle aches), however I have noticed that my hair has suddenly started thinning quite dramatically.  I'm assuming this is quite normal as I was warned right from the start that it might happen.  My concern is that it keeps thinning but doesn't grow back, all the information I have read regarding hair loss states it grows back once the treatment stops, but CML treatment won't stop it's life long.  Any experiences and/or advice please?  Many thanks - Julie

On 600mg Tasigna my hair stopped growing but did not appear to be thinning.  When I reduced my dose to 450 mg and then later to 300 mg, the hair started growing again on my head, but not my legs. I just reduced dose again to 150 mg but too early to tell if hair growth will be affected

Hi,

this is a known side effect, but I have found side effects to be cyclical - some months my hair is thicker than others. I went to half dose recently (300mg/day) after a long and sustained response. My hair (head and body) has thickened and is close to pre-diagnosis.

you may well find it settles down in time.

best wishes

Chris