You are here

A time for reflection

Categories:

Hi we are again able to celebrate life on this very special day, 22 September.
This year I am going to mainly devote my day on thoughts to those very brave CML warriors who lost the fight against our common enemy, CML.
All who are reading this message are in the fortunate position to celebrate not only beating CML, fighting it, or are able to control it with strong Immune systems and other factors - what a blessing!!!
So it is our duty to remember the aforesaid brothers and sisters who passed on but also spare a thought for Medical Research and great Pioneers like Dr Brian Druker and his team who gave us the weapons to confront CML with. Of course there are too many other brilliant Researchers and Doctors to mention here who have equally contributed to the development of the ammunition we use in this war against CML.
Well done all, we owe our lives to your tireless efforts to beat the "Dragon".
I offer my congratulations and good wishes to all the other world wide CML Support Groups and the Administrators who volunteer their time to help other CML patients in need of answers and the comfort of being with fellow sufferers who share their hopes, fears and optimism.
Having been diagnosed in July 2003, this is my 14th year of living with CML.
The miracle to me is that I have been in Treatment Free Remission for 101 months to date and I fortunately developed no side effects off treatment, so my sympathies to the 30% who do really suffer in TFR.
I have been truly blessed and thank God every day for my good fortune but at the same time also remember those who were and most still are less fortunate than I was.
My prayers on this day is that shortly not one life is lost to CML and that a permanent cure is close on hand.
May all our fellow CML brothers have a great day and year ahead and reflect on our good fortune to be able to share in the lives of our families and friends.
Love and blessings to you all.
Keep the Candle of Hope burning.
Basil
South Africa

A truly inspirational and heartfelt post from you, Basil.  I guess you currently hold the record for being TF and holding it. Many congratulations and yes, today my thoughts have turned to CML patients who did not win the battle. One I knew personally.

Best

Chrissie

Hi Chrissie

I am not the longest survivor off aTKI. There sre others who have been off longer. Holding a record is not important at all but what is important is that it can point to the future for many fortunate enough to being able to stop on a trial  and remain ssfe should they fail and have to resume there TKI.

When I stopped we did not have the knowledge we have today, making it quite rusky business in a way.

I tend to look at myself as a successful pioneer only, witout taking that chance my cautious side would have lost us a great opportunity.important