You are here

Fathering a child on Dasatinib

I just wanted everyone to know that I have a perfectly healthy, and beautiful, 5 month old daughter that was conceived while I was on  dasatinib.   I have been taking 100mg/day since August 2014.   My oncologist recommended  I come off the drug for a small period of time and then freeze my sperm. I also spoke with two fertility doctors who said to just go ahead and conceive while on dasatinib as there was no evidence stating otherwise,  granted there is limited data.   Either way, we accidentally got pregnant while I was still taking the drug and despite all my stressing, everything is perfect.     I just wanted to share my experience with others as I know this can be a hot topic.  Please let me know if anyone has any questions, thanks!!!   

Congratulations! That is wonderful news for you. For the men, the consensus does seem to be failing down on the side that it is pretty safe to father a child without interrupting your TKI treatment - most of all so for imatinib I think simply because of the volume of data available on the topic.

David.

Yup i have a healthy 16 month old boy while i took nilotinib
I have been on dasatinib since a year and now wife is 13 weeks pregnant, so far all baby checks are great😊

That is great news! I was just wondering for those who may have conceived a child early on in their treatment, have any of you also taken Hydroxyurea during your initial diagnosis? I have heard there is concern with conceiving for a period of time after taking hydroxyurea?

Thank You,

Ian

I had hydeoxyurea for 5 days bfo starting tki....i had my kid over a year later and i would think it not safe to father a child while on it
But the turnover time for new sperm is about 3 months so i think 4 or more months post, should be okay
Im not certain