You are here

Muscular / Limb problems

ADMIN NOTE: I moved this post to a new thread. Actual author is "Nick_Italy", not me.

------------------

Hi everybody,

this is my first post here.

My mum is 59 and she was diagnosed with CML on August 14th. She started to be treated with Imatinib three weeks ago.

The hematocrit is going better now, but she is suffering with very strong, almost unbearable pain at legs. She nearly can't walk. 

She is taking magnesium.

Her doctor said she can't take paracetamol with imatinib. She said she can only take ketroprofene when pain is extremely strong, but it doesn't help. 

My mum is very strong but the pain is really devastating her.

The doctor says the pain will last three months.

Does anyone have had similar experience, or maybe some suggestions?

Thank you very much.

Nick

Hi Nick,

I had a very similar reaction for the first 12 weeks of taking imatinib. It did disappear exactly at 3 months just as predicted, but that doesn't help your Mum much. All I can advise is for her to use heat packs or hot baths, to relax the muscles and joints - direct heat and self-massage of 'trigger points'- the tender spots we might feel anywhere on the body- does really help with this TKI side effect. It is good that she is supplementing with magnesium- It is advised to take magnesium in a chelated form like mag glycinate.... this form is more effectively transported to the cells which is where we need it.

"If you are suffering from a magnesium deficiency, magnesium glycinate or other forms of chelated magnesium may be your best bet because they are so well absorbed," says Carolyn Dean, author of "The Magnesium Miracle." which you can find online. The body may tolerate magnesium glycinate better than magnesium oxide.

Or she could try rubbing here muscles with magnesium oil - it can be bought in cream form which is better for sensitive skin. The following facebook link may be helpful.

https://www.facebook.com/nutritionalmagnesium/

Sandy