You are here

Holiday / Travel Insurance for CML

Just wanted to share my experience on looking for "travel insurance" as I did just investigate:

I'm diagnosed & on Imatinib since 2 months, good response, and have a holiday booked next week, only one week canary islands  - to say it upfront, I definitely go on the trip, no matter what.

My clinic consultant said that out of her experience "normal" (existing) insurances will try to avoid paying even unrelated health expenses by blaming it on the CML - so out of curiosity I inquired for Single Trip Travel Insurance - maybe it helps others if I quickly share my experience.

She recommended asking a company called insurancewith.com  ...their online quote failed, and advised to call them...I did, but the operator was not able to quote me; he couldn'T say why (I only have CML but had Asthma as a child, which I probably shouldn't have mentioned)   then he recommended me to ask these next two insurers:

oktotravelinsurance.co.uk their online quote turned out £158.41 for one week  - made me instantly loose interest

2nd one was freespirittravelinsurance.com which quoted £169.37 - so that seems to be a standard pricing - and both does not appeal to me, nor by budget ;)

Anyway; I realize that many fellow CML'ers here are from abroad, USA and elsewhere, and I'm in the lucky position that I'm registered and insured with our (free) NHS which (still) covers me even in other EU countries (until Brexit is final of course) so please forgive me if my input on the topic of insurance is not of much value for most others....but my attitude might:

As was mentioned on another thread about holiday and advice from doctors:  "doctors are always going to be ultra conservative... they have nothing to gain in telling you "sure, its fine, go"  

I still think that infections/bacteria can be avoided by some preventative means, even food related dangers, simply don't eat "washed" salad which hasn't been prepared by yourself etc. common sense behaviour when travelling to foreign countries, even without increased risk. And, at home / in the own neighbourhood germs are living as well - so my point is travel of no travel it doesn't really matter in my opinion, en contraire: the positive mindset in holiday might actually help the immune system :)

As said, I will go on the trip (and others to come)  - after all it's only one life, so I can as well live it :)

PS: just my opinion: NEVER give your full/clear surname on ANY insurance quotes, as they all share data at some point (even if it will be in the future)  so it might be held against you at some point, or increase risk / pricing in whatever sector of quoting (Car/house/life insurance etc pp)   simply use a different name / birth date !

I think if you have a blood test the week before you leave you should pretty well know if it's ok or not if its ok to travel. Yes, in Canada we have the same about travel insurance.  Hope all goes well, enjoy your trip. 

HI,

There have been a number of threads here on this site in the past and yes basically if insurers can do so they will try to avoid paying out especially if there is any element of non disclosure of past medical history however small.

Some consultants have been quoted as saying that the chances of any CML related issue emerging whilst away on holiday are usually quite negligable;however if you dont declare CML and then if you claim for a slightly related or even a non related item or incident they will decline to pay. So the advice is if you take out insurance declare everything.If one makes a claim then you have to agree to the insurers having access to your medical records with your GP so all your key events and illnesses will come up.

I presume that you have a EHIC card and this will cover you for any emergency treatment in a EU country but in Spain some local public hospitals will try to push you towards a private clinic.and so use your assumed private cover!

EHIC wont cover you for repatriation to UK so this is one reason to get travel insurance-an an example of a traffic accident or a fall with a broken bone would be an example where eventually you would want to try to come home after emergency treatment and an air ambulance would be quite expensive.

I have used World First and they are quite good on medical screening over the phone and they did pay out to me  -they cover every condition but obviously at a price.I suggest you look at their website and do a dummy run without any declarations of medical conditions to get a base price and then give a call and engage in the medical screening over the phone and then you can see what extra you would be charged.

I hope that this helps

John