You are here

Side Effects from Tasigna--> change to Gleevec

Hi All,

just started Tasigna for 2.5days (3weeks after first diagnosed) and I experienced some mild obdominal pain as well as very horrible muscle pain from the backside to the leg, radiating downwards to the feet... went to the doctors and they ordered for blood tests and ECG. ECG was normal. Blood test showed some spike in serum biliburin... and some slightly higher amilase... so the doctor immediately asked to stop Tasigna as worry it will harm my liver. Ultrasound of liver and pancreas was normal with just some typical fatty liver... as Tasigna and Gleevec is the only medication available in my country, I was told I need to switch to Gleevec now... my question:

1. I thought Tasigna is the more superior option for CML. Why is it a need to switch back to Gleevec?

Thanks 

rgds, John

Hi John,

"Better" is very subjective. If Tasigna / nilotinib is damaging your liver, it's certainly not better for you than Glivec / imatinib!

The jury is still out on which drugs are better. There are mutations that nilotinib can deal with that imatinib cannot. It's also true that nilotininb works faster than imatinib, but both work so does that really matter? If two people are in the sea with a shark, and both make it to shore safely but one was quicker than the other to get there does either person mind?

For some people one drug is much better for them, as it may cause fewer side effects. Some people don't respond to well to one drug or another, but do well on a different one. So it's really very subjective, and it's down to the individual. 

The good news is that all the available drugs work very well, and with luck you can find one that is highly compatible with you. For you, that one is then the best.

David.