You are here

Please help

Hello, I haven't been diagnosed with anything but I'm very concerned. Here's some information...

I had a blood test in July 2016 and everything was normal. I had another one in January 2018 and a few things have changed (elevations) that I'm really worried and scared about especially my wbc, neutrophils, platelets, calcium and protein... everything that I've researched says cancer of some kind. I have fibromyalgia, myofascial pain syndrome for years and possibly interstitial cystitis but that was never confirmed because I didn't want to do invasive testing at the time... I just know that none of those things can contribute to the following changes so I feel like something else is going on. Could these changes and elevations be something slow-growing? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

My WBC count went from 5.3 and 5.6 on two older tests to now 6.7
Neutrophils went from from 57% to 67%
Absolute Neutrophil Count went from 3.0 to 4.4
Platelets went from 268 to 388 which is considered HIGH (reference range is 150-379) *VERY concerned about this

Hemoglobin went from 12.7 to 13.7
Hematocrit went from 38 to 41

Calcium went from 9.4 to 10.2 (almost considered HIGH)
Total Protein went from 6.6 to 7.9
Albumin went from 4.4 to 4.9
Globulin went from 2.2 & 2.5 on two older tests to now 3.0
A/G Ratio is 1.6

Protein in the routine urinalysis was negative

My cholesterol was also slightly high but I'm not concerned about it because I know that my poor eating habits/lack of exercise caused it and it can be corrected.

Doesn't look like CML to me, but I'm not a doctor. wink

What does your doctor make of your recent blood work?

On the face of it, you almost certainly do not have CML, but only a FISH/PCR test would be definitive.

When CML takes hold, red blood suffers. You have no signs of anemia, in fact, your red blood markers (hemoglobin, hematocrit) have increased and are solid normal.

What you do mention is more likely caused by increased inflammation in your body by your lifestyle leading to an immune response (higher WBC's)*. You reported:

"My cholesterol was also slightly high but I'm not concerned about it because I know that my poor eating habits/lack of exercise caused it and it can be corrected." and you have fibromylagia as well.

Bad diet and lack of exercise can easily cause the numbers you reported. Your blood test is a wake up call for you to eliminate non-food (anything in a bag) from your diet and to drink plenty of water to help normalize your blood plasma markers. You should consider adding Turmeric (Curcumin) to your diet which can help with pain (similar to aspirin) and add magnesium (magnesium taurate or citrate). Eating well will go a long way to helping you.

(*additional background on Neutrophils: http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/the-immune-cell-the-neutrophil-the-good...

and Fibromyalagia nutrition: https://www.webmd.com/fibromyalgia/features/fibromyalgia-supplements#1)

I was recently diagnosed and my WBC was 330, so 6.7 is fine.  Your platelets, at 388 are within normal, as the high end is 450.

I would cut out fatty, processed foods, and see how that helps.

The day to day fluctuations of blood results even if out of normal range, to a degree
are not alarming. One time I had blood work done many years ago and my Dr. called
me in to discuss my higher then normal fat markers in my blood.
He seemed very concerned. He said ‘Unless you had a bunch of buttered popcorn
the night before these numbers are alarming.'
I told him I had a bunch of buttered popcorn the night before.
He laughed it off and never brought it up again.   True story.

Doctors know more then they say. Sometimes they have to “fish for reasons”
that you have a test result. Even General Practitioners are on the watch for the
big demon illness before it gets bigger. They are all limited by the quality and
presumptions of a test results. God Bless those folks.

Your numbers aren’t bad at all.
Mabey you have anxiety.
It’s OK to be careful.
You might be lucky and you had too much buttered popcorn the night before.
Nothing more or nothing less.

Romo