You are here

Being in the Sun while on Nilotinib/Tasigna ?

My wife is taking me on a cruise next year and it says on my Tasigna leaflet that I'm not suppose to be in the sun because of Rash and blistering. Has anyone taking Tasigna been out in the sun and what preperations should I take ? I'm pulling my hair out because this cruise is all about being in the sun and water and on beaches and I'm going to have to sit in the shade the whole vacation. I might as well just die for real. My life used to be fun at the beach on boats and beaches with my wife and we were both muscular and in shape. Since the CML I am too sore and in pain to workout and now I can't even be in the sun. ALso I work outside in the sun because I do construction. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do and how to deal with this. I hope that all I'll need is some sunscreen. Please share your experience if your on Tasigna/Nilotinib

Some people's skin may be more sensitive to the sun while taking Tasgna.  I have been on Tasigna since October 2016 and my dermatologist told me to protect my skin by avoiding excessive sun exposure, using high-factor sunscreen (at least spf 30) and wearing protective clothing and a hat.  There is a lot of good lightweight outdoor clothing that has spf protection - try Patagonia and REI.  Tasigna can mess with your skin - rashes, folliculitis, etc, but the long term risk to protect against is skin cancer. If I were you, I'd at least make sure I was fully protected by sunscreen (use the sport stuff that doesn't sweat off as easily), wear a wide brimmed hat and look into the spf clothing.

Hopefully your other side effects will get better over time, and once you reach MMR, you should start talking dose reduction with your doc.  I started on 600 mg/day and hit MMR in 3 months. I have steadily reduced dose since then to 150 mg/day and most side effects are now either gone or much more manageable.  My PCR has been <.003% and/or undetected for a year now.  Hang in therre - it will get better. Enjoy your cruise, but do not take unnecessary risks with overexposure to the sun.  

Hi Philip, 

I burn easily in the sun. Starting out with Irish skin probably isn’t ideal to begin with, but since I took dasatinib my skin definitely burns much more easily.

However, I found the solution that works for me. Ultrasun Sport is a sort of gel like sunscreen that is super tough. It’s a once-a-day thing, and really does last all day. I haven’t burned once since using it. They make it in SPF 20, 30, and 50.

It’s not cheap, but a little goes a long way and it’s better value in the big 400ml container.

https://www.ultrasun.com/en-GB/shop/body-normal-skin

Others have recommended Aldi’s own-brand sunscreen which was highly rated by “Which?” (UK consumer body) which works really well for them.

David.

Philliptibbs - The reason for the warning is that nilotinib (and imatinib and dasatinib) have an off-target effect on the c-KIT kinase, which creates a number of skin-related side effects, like rashes and odd follicular things.  The production of melanin (which gives pigment to the skin) is screwed around with, which is why you see extreme paleness in CML patients and also why they are more sensitive to the sun, since melanin has some protective function against the UV rays.  So, here's the deal:  you'll have to wear sunscreen more than you used to, and you can pretty much give up on the idea of a tan.  I hear you so clearly about who you "used" to be, and I understand why you would be angry and sad to lose the body image that implies a carefree, outdoor life.  But, stop and think:  Everybody wears sunscreen these days.  Deep tans are very New Jersey Housewives tacky, anyway.  (No insult intended, New Jersey!)  Wearing sunscreen doesn't prohibit you from living it up at the beach and on the boat.  If you wear sunscreen and take REASONABLE care not to OVERDO, you should be able to avoid a "sun rash," and the follicular ones (IF they happen) are actually invisible, just bumpy.   And temporary for most people.  You don't have to sit in the shade the whole vacation.  You don't have to wear dorky old man hats with the flap in the back.  You don't have to order a full body UV resistant kit from the weird catalog.  Go and have fun; you'll find out just what you can and can't get away with regarding the sun.  I have found, over the years, that all it means for me is that I burn much faster and easier, and it never turns into a tan.  That's all.  I'm not, like, covered in running leper sores from poking my head out the window.

More important to your happiness is getting on top of the pain, which I hope will be possible for you.  I think it will.

"I might as well just die for real."  Yeah - I know the feeling really well!  But.  No.  Things will get better, you'll see. 

Thank you for the info. It's just going to be difficult because I used to lay out with my wife on past Cruises and now I'm going to have to wear clothes and sun block. I'm seriously wondering if changing my life so drastically is worth it . I used to be a bodybuilder and on the beach with just shorts on and now I'm going to be on the beach with my wife who is very good looking and I have to look like an old man with a hat on and sun screen and clothes on. I have told her she should find another guy who suits her lifestyle better and I'm being serious because this lifestyle change I'm making is crazy. The Oncologists say OH you can live a normal lifestyle. Bullshit my life is nothing like it used to be. All I can do is live and expecting another human being to conform to my new lifestyle is not right. Now my wife won't leave my side because she is the best woman I've ever met in my life but I feel totally guilty that she has to change her life because of my lifestyle change because the Government sent my Dad to Vietnam and he ingested Agent Orange which gave him a Disease and it passed down to me. Sorry I'm going off but I'm pissed because we supposedly live in a free country but the Government is nothing more than an organised mofia that gets away with anything they want to. I apologize if I offend anyone. I have had CML for 1yr and its pissing me off . 

Hi Philip
Its normal to feel frustrated and depressed but actually taking care of your skin in the sun is actually what everyone should do to avoid skin cancer. Just wear a really good sun screen. As long as you reapply regularly you don't have to wear a shirt all the time and you can compromise with a baseball cap rather than a proper sunhat if it makes you happier.

i think having CML is a bit like having diabetes in that you always need to be aware and make adjustments. But I just had a good friend's husband die of a massive heart attack leaving a 14 and 7 year old devastated while another friend is fighting ( with such grace and positive attitude) a really nasty brain tumor . so while I am very sad at times that my husband got CML, I also feel fortunate for what it wasn't. Most of all I am so grateful for the treatment options available, rather than the five year life expectancy he would have been given 20 years ago. Its hard to count our blessings every day but I think it makes life easier. best to you.

Hi Philip
Its normal to feel frustrated and depressed but actually taking care of your skin in the sun is actually what everyone should do to avoid skin cancer. Just wear a really good sun screen. As long as you reapply regularly you don't have to wear a shirt all the time and you can compromise with a baseball cap rather than a proper sunhat if it makes you happier.

i think having CML is a bit like having diabetes in that you always need to be aware and make adjustments. But I just had a good friend's husband die of a massive heart attack leaving a 14 and 7 year old devastated while another friend is fighting ( with such grace and positive attitude) a really nasty brain tumor . so while I am very sad at times that my husband got CML, I also feel fortunate for what it wasn't. Most of all I am so grateful for the treatment options available, rather than the five year life expectancy he would have been given 20 years ago. Its hard to count our blessings every day but I think it makes life easier. best to you.

Hi Philip

Thank you so much for your real life and truthful response. It means alot to me when people are real and not candy coating the reply. I've had CML for a year and I'm just lost and depressed also . My wife calls me Superman because I still work with CML and I do construction and I keep going. I don't want to sit around . I wan to be me .....  Anyway your such a beautiful person and thank you for your outlook and help on this rough time in my life. Women are strong and God must have made women for Men because my Wife is the strongest person I know and without her I would haven given up. So I thank You and Thank my Wife for the Support you give .

Phillip, I am so glad you are unloading true feelings here, where everybody understands.  In "real life" there are such pressures to perform - literally, and the ones we make up - and it's so hard with CML.  You will have to sort out a lot of stuff for yourself over the next few years, and I know you will do it.  We live in such a strange place - as in Monty Python, we're "not dead yet," but we're not cured either.  We have no choice but to adapt to what the magic pill does to us and try to keep in perspective that it lets us live.  It's a "not die pill."  (Not my quote, just stole it.)  Have you thought about talking to a therapist?  It's great because you can take all your strongest feelings - rage at the unfairness, resentment that this happened to you, despair and grief at the loss of your old self, fear of the future and the unknown - to someone who listens, doesn't judge or try to fix it too much.  And, when you walk out the door, nobody you know in all the world needs to know what you said.  I have an idea that you are angry about more than just having to wear sunscreen at the beach.  A good therapist could tease that out and let you see and feel it, and face it.

I'm sorry your father was exposed to Agent Orange.  However, set your mind at rest on the point of inheritance - didn't happen.  Not the way genetic mutations for CML work.

As for your government mafia, I suppose everyone is allowed to criticize his own country's stuff.  I'm an American, and I have to say that your National Health looks mighty fine to some of us here.

Keep posting.

This whole conversation is fantastic! Thank you to all of you - Phillip, Kat, Louise, David, CMLJax. You have put so many of my thoughts and feelings and bewilderments into words, and that is a wonderful thing. It is so frustrating sometimes!!! Phillip, I hope you can go on the cruise and enjoy it -- I am very jealous! (Here in the NW USA we have not seen the sun in a long time!) Bless you, bless us all. And thank you again for the words of support and the company through this strange journey. Justine

Thank you Philip for taking my words in the spirit they were meant :)

I have never been on a cruise so I look forward to hearing about your trip.

Never had a tan either despite living in California for the last ten years. My Scottish skin just burns so I have always been the one with the dorky sun hat!

I am on Sprycel not Tasigna but I was also told to stay out of the sun because I would now burn way easier. I am 30 I love being outside I have a boat Im on all summer and I love to travel to tropical places in the winter months. So staying out of the sun was not really option. Honestly, I really did not change anything after getting CML. I do not wear sunscreen for the first 45 minutes or so I am outside after that I put on SPF30. I do this to make sure I am getting some Vitamin D with suncreen blocks about 98% of vitamin D. As long as you do not naturally have very very pale skin I do not think it will be an issue. I really think the key to not getting burnt is keeping your vitamin D levels up. Even though I live in the northern US I get some sun at least every other weekend I fly south somewhere warm. In the summer I spend Fridays, Saturdays and Sunday all day in the Sun from May-September I do not wear hats or shirts I put on SPF30 after the first 45 minutes and that is all. I do not let me skin get red or peel but I would not do that before CML either. If you have not been out in the sun in a while then put sunscreen on after the first 20 minutes especially if you are going somewhere tropical with high UV like 9+. I have never even considered wearing a hat or shirts when I'm at a pool or beach, but that is just my opinion....2.5 years with CML, 100s of days in the sun, zero sunburn.

Realized too late that you must be an American, too, Phillip - I got the Agent Orange reference, but somehow my mind bypassed the Viet Nam reference.  Anyway, I still do admire the National Health system!

I live in Michigan and yes the sun is scarce and not around much and it gets depressing but I'm fighting through it. Sooner or later though we are moving to Florida because my wifes sister lives there and her sister is the last of her Family alive. Plus we are the Godparents of her son so we want to be there. I feel better down south as in my bones and health . So I will move down happily .

Bodybuilders use a peptide calle Melantonan 2 and you only have to go in the sun maybe 3 times and then your tan and you don't burn and you don't have to tan anymore. The Melantonan 2 is given with a insulin syringe once a day for 2 weeks and then twice a week for as long as you want to stay tan. It changes the Melatonin in your skin to make the brown come to the surface. My Wife used it because she is Irish/Scottish and German and has fair skin and always burns. SHe Tanned 3 times outside and then she was tan the whole summer just by taking the shot twice a week. She loves it because she can't tan outside her Dad had skin cancer so it works for her.

It's on the government website for the VA that the Agent Orange changes the gene that triggers CML and really any cancer in your body and I was conceived right when my Dad came home and he was sick because of the Agent Orange when he came home. You have to read everything because I'm the only one in our family and extended family that has CML and the only thing thats different is my Father was sick when he came home and I was conceived while he was sick with Agent Orange in his blood . All you have to do is google Agent Orange and CML or Agent Orange and Sarcoidosis and pages of stuff come up and I have both CML and Sarcoidosis and both are cause by Agent Orange. Try it google it and the government admits it causes it in siblings of the men that were over their. I'm not one of those people who want to live off the government. I'm the total opposite. I dont want financial help from anyone. I can do it myself. I just want them to put more Scientists on board to find a better cure .

Hi, Philip.  Before I was diagnosed I was always out in the sun - hitting the beach, surfing - it was my favorite form of vacation and relaxation and I was always tan.  Now, even though I haven't been in the sun in 2 years, I still have a slight tan line but I feel like I glow in the dark, I'm so white.  I was started on Gleevec and went through Tasigna and now Sprycel and with all of them I have to keep out of the sun due to burning.  3 months after dx and starting meds, I took my son down to Costa Rica for one last surfing trip and even with coating myself with zinc oxide and long sleeves etc. I still was burnt to a crisp - although the surfing was awesome so well worth it.  I understand your frustration - I had muscle cramps, bone pain, the whole lot and really thought my "old" way of life was over, but after 2.5 years I now just wear hats and sit under umbrellas with sunscreen and am able to pick up some color and still enjoy the beach and boating, etc.  Just can't be out for extended periods of time.  I have to say I was pretty depressed as well, but as I saw my numbers go down I felt the trade-off was worth it.  By the way, Tasigna made me feel so cold all the time that even in Florida, I rarely turn the A/C on so being in the warmth is great-so hurry on down!  Stay strong.  

Hi again Philip, 

For what it’s worth, though I do burn easily like some of the others here you do get used to it and it’s pretty much as simple as buying good sunscreen and being careful in the 11-15:00 sun (like anyone should, really).

I’ve been lucky enough to have a week in Lanzarote - coming home in a couple of days - and can confirm that I am having a lovely time in the sun! I know only one person who burns easier than I do, so that means if I can enjoy this so can everyone.

I am typing this with a bottle of beer beside me, and in lovely afternoon sun. There’s no reason why your vacation won’t be just as nice 😀☀️.

David.

It';s ok you seem like a very honest and down to earth person. It doesn't matter where we live or come from. We are all Gods children and life is hard and I just get frustrated because my wife used to call me Superman and I just don't feel that way anymore. I feel helpless and weak . I just would like to feel half way normal. 

Thank you so much for your input. I highly appreciate your experiences and I wish you nothing but the best and I will be buying the UnderArmour UPF clothing for my Cruise and some SPF50 sport sunscreen. If I burn I burn ! I'm not letting it ruin my Trip with my Wife and My Daughter and my Son In Law. I'm going to get drunk and have fun. I'm tired of being depressed !!!!!

Great plan! I hope you and your wife have an amazing time. 

Another byproduct of sensitivity to the sun and wearing sunscreen is a reduction in the amount of vitamin D in the body.  I have to supplement 5,000 IU daily and I'm still on the low side of normal in the winter, especially.