You are here

Advice please!

Hi everyone
I'm a 40 year old cml patient currently on bosutinib 500mg. I stopped taking them over 30 days ago in the hope of getting pregnant, I so desperately want a baby and would then return to treatment
Please help!

Meg,

Need more information:

1. What is your current PCR level?

2. When were you diagnosed, how long have you been taking TKI's? (i.e. Bosutinib or other)?

3. Are you pregnant now?

I have a close friend who has CML and she was able to stop treatment have a baby (twins!) and has now returned to treatment.

During her pregnancy, her CML PCR and FISH levels did rise substantially, but her blast count remained zero (i.e. chronic phase). She was able to keep going until her babies were born. She is now back on her TKI (Sprycel) and her FISH and PCR are dropping rapidly.

It can be done. It just depends on where you are starting (i.e. major deep remission) and how long you have been on treatment).

Thank you so much for your very informative reply, such great news on your friend
I have been on bosutinib for over 2 years & imatanib for a year before. Im not sure of counts at moment but feeling well enough, I have done 2 tests after being 12 day but both negative
Great to chat with you & thanks again x

Hi,

I am pretty sure your doctor would not encourage you to stop therapy if your PCR result had not shown you to have had a stable molecular response- at least MMR (0.1%) for some years. It would be helpful for us to fully advise you if you could share your results- not peripheral blood counts but PCR results. Would that be possible?

Apart from that, there are quite a few women who have successfully stopped TKi therapy and had successful pregnancies. Your centre should be monitoring you very closely during the next weeks and months while you try to get pregnant. 

I wish you the best,

Sandy