You are here

New Blood Work Numbers ( 2nd set of Results)

Categories:

Blood work back from April 6th 2018

Prior numbers were from March 28th, 2018

WBC: 6.7 -   was 16.6

Platelet count 240-  was 119

Neutrophils Absolute: 3839 was 13,413

Monocyltes Absolute:  529 was 1921.

* No PCR tests yet- On sprycel for approx 1 month at 100MG dosage.

Real bad side effect- I could not catch my breath and  unable to put on a pair of socks and walk   3 or 4 feet without having to stop and rest to 

catch my breath.

Compounded more I ended up with possible pneumonia in my right lower lobe lung and ended up in the emergency room this past Monday

Presently on 8 days of steriods and just finished a Z-pak.

Not sure if the sprycel or possible pneumonia or both contributed to the real bad breathing episodes.

The Ong.  stopped  my taking Sprycel this past Monday and lowered my dosage from 100MG daily to 80 MG daily

Waiting for the new prescription to come in per her directions,  I have not had any Sprycel since Monday-  And I feel almost 100 percent better!

I know its not going to last , but it is nice having a few days off of the meds.

Best to all!

Chuck.

Also I have a  Nebulizer (Albuturol) for emergency treatment for loss of breathing.

That seems like a bit of a mixed bag ... some positive things in there, but obviously some tough stuff on your lungs too.

Perhaps it’s just an indication that dasatinib works really well for you, and maybe a lower dose will control the CML and not activate too many side effects.

David.

Thanks David.

I'm thinking the same thing. The numbers are really good right now, just got to get to the cause of the real bad breathing problems.

I am very happy about the 20 mg reduction to 80 MG.

Hopefully that will help!

Chuck.

What a week you have had! Glad your oncologist has reduced your dosage. My husband is on 50 mg after 6 months on 100mg to hopefully reduce side effects. Lots of people do really well on 50 and even 20 mg.

Best of luck to you Chuckster and keep checking in.
louise

I had a similar problem. It seems that the Sprycel caused my
bronchial tubes to constrict. It caused a asthma situation.
It wasn’t so much as catching my breath as my bronchial tubes
were so tight that breathing was irritating them.
They gave me what you have but also gave me QVAR.
It is also an inhaler but it is a cellular growth stimulator.
I was told that my bronchial tubes were inflamed and would
constrict and cause breathing problems and create an "oven for infection".
The Nebulizer was for temporary relief and the QVAR was to repair the inflammation.
It worked and now I keep both the Nebulizer and the QVAR and use them
when needed.
I hope this helps.

Romo

Thank You!

I tried to get my Ong to lower it more than 80 but she would not budge at this time!

I think she wants to see what happens taking 80 Mg over the next 30 days compared to the side effects @ 100 mg

Chuck.

Thank You.

My main problem was being unable to breath normal with real minimum movement

I own a bi-level home and I could not even go up half of the steps ( 7) without feeling like I just ran a marathon!

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I had similar breathing issues and was eventually diagnosed with a severe pleural effusion although I had complained about the breathing issues from the start of taking Sprycel. Started at 100 mg and gradually went down to 20 mg and remained undetectable but the pleural effusion stayed at 1000 ml daly.

Changed to Tasigna and the fluid levels have gone down from 1000ml daily but still need to drain daily. Both TKI's controlled my CML and have stayed undetectable except for a month on Gleevec when I experienced full body edema along with the pleural effusion and my BCR-ABL numbers went up.

Something to question if you continue to experience breathing problems.

Good luck

Hi Chuckster,

You sound like you are/have experienced some of the higher grades of side effects to TKI therapy and may well be intolerant of Sprycel. According to the manufacturer's website, some of the more challenging side effects - and those that chime with your experience so far - are as follows:

Shortness of breath and cough, especially if this happens with low levels of physical activity or at rest
Chest pain when taking a deep breath

Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (PAH):  PAH may happen at any time during treatment with SPRYCEL. Your doctor should check your heart and lungs before and during your treatment with dasatinib. Cardiac effects: check potassium and magnesium levels in your blood, and your heart function.

The general advice is for your treating physician/doctor to monitor you very closely should you experience any of the above side effects at least above grade 1or 2. Obviously, your doctor is aware of your reaction and has reduced your dose by 20mg to 80mg. Although it is understandable that she is reluctant to reduce the dose any further (I imagine due to your very recent diagnosis), given your side effects have been so severe so soon after starting therapy, it may be advisable for you to have a conversation about intolerance and a possible change to another TKI with a less challenging side effect profile?

Also, as TKIs can deplete both magnesium and potassium levels - personally, I would advise anyone on TKI therapy - or even if not - to supplement with adequate doses of magnesium on a daily basis.

Sandy

Thanks Sandy.

I have the shortness of breath but have not experienced any chest pain at all

Also, no cough at all.

I am scheduled for another chest x-ray in approx 2 weeks to see if the pneumonia has cleared from my lower right lung.

If still there, a C-Scan will be done.

My Ong. did suggest possibly switching to a different TKI but I decided to see if a lower dosage might work first.

Again, thanks for the info.

Chuck

Thread continued from: 
Initial side Effects of Sprycel?