You are here

nausea and diarrhoea

Categories:

hi again to all been on imatinib for about 10 months and all going very well no real probs but had a very bad day today with both the above and wondering could this be a side effect or is it more likely to be a one off caused maybe by something i ate as yesterday i had a meal with ready prepared smoked salmon which i dont normally have and my husband is convinced this has caused the problem any one have any thoughts on this 

cheers all

yvonne pinch

Hi Yvonne,

Nausea is common enough with imatinib, but usually people get it every day rather than sporadically. So this to me doesn't sound like a side-effect problem. Usually the way people deal with imatinib related nausea is to ensure it's taken on a full stomach with plenty of water. 

Diarrhoea is common in the first month or so with bosutinib, but not really something that is super-common with imatinib.

I'd hazard a guess that you ate something that was a bit off and your body decided to get rid of it my any means possible. I hope you are feeling better now!

David.

Hi David thanks very much for your reassuring reply all well now so guess it must have been a food problem thanks again

Yvonne

Be sure to not take it on an empty stomach.  Also, I like to wait at least one hour after eating before I take mine and I also like to take mine before bed, sleep through most of the side affects (one being making you sleepy).