You are here

Any Vetrans with CML?

Categories:

My husband was diagnosed with CML a few weeks ago and has started Gleevec. We noticed that several men in his army unit have some type of blood cancer.....coincidence? Anyone else have CML that has been overseas and/or in the military?

I am a retired U.S. Navy officer with 20 years of active duty service in both the Army and Navy. I served both stateside and in Europe (Berlin). I had been retired from the military for 20 years when I was diagnosed with CML last Oct. There’s nothing about my military service that can even remotely be linked to my CML, unless you want to consider all of the vaccinations I (and all other U.S. military personnel) received in boot camp/OCS. IMHO, what you are observing is purely coincidence.

Regards,

Debbie T.

CML is a genetic malfunction.
None of us are perfect humans.
With no defects. CML happens.

If we were perfect we would be
Supermen and Superwoman.
and nobody would fix our stuff.
Because they would be
Supermen and Superwoman.
and Super people don’t work regular jobs.
So There!

Romo

Please review this article from USMC Camp Lejeune. I will post another article which lists chemicals involved.

March 17, 2017
JACKSONVILLE, N.C. (WITN) - Tuesday is the day Camp Lejeune Marines sickened by tainted water at the base for decades can begin filing claims with the Department of Veterans Affairs for compensation.

The VA says it will pay out $2.2 billion over the next five years to people who served at Camp Lejeune for 30 consecutive days between August 1, 1953 and December 31, 1987. The diseases the VA says they will compensate for include:
(1) Kidney cancer
(2) Liver cancer
(3) Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma
(4) Adult leukemia
(5) Multiple myeloma
(6) Parkinson's disease
(7) Aplastic anemia and other myelodysplastic syndromes
(8) Bladder cancer
Chemicals from a dry cleaner leaked into the water people used for cooking, cleaning and all household purposes for decades, and they have been linked to these illnesses.
PREVIOUS STORY:
$2.2 billion over the next five years. That's how much the federal government agreed to pay to provide disability benefits to veterans exposed to tainted water at Camp Lejuene more than 30 year ago.
"I'm hoping that this is the first step of many that will help civilians, civilian employees, I think that children who were born on the base as well, they need to be helped also," says Gavin Smith, the creator of Civilian Exposure.
The rule covers active duty, reserve and National Guard members who developed one of eight diseases and served at Camp Lejeune for at least 30 days cumulative between Aug. 1, 1953, and Dec. 31, 1987. Veterans will have to submit evidence of their diagnosis and service information.
The decision was quietly made public Thursday with a notice in the Federal Register, the government's official journal.
Beginning in March, the cash payouts from the Department of Veterans Affairs may supplement VA health care already being provided to eligible veterans stationed at the Marine base for at least 30 days cumulative between Aug. 1, 1953, and Dec. 31, 1987. Veterans will have to submit evidence of their diagnosis and service information.
Outgoing VA Secretary Bob McDonald determined that there was "sufficient scientific and medical evidence" to establish a connection between exposure to the contaminated water and eight medical conditions for purposes of awarding disability compensation.
The VA estimates that as many as 900,000 service members were potentially exposed to the tainted water.

Affected veterans who were stationed at Camp Lejeune may now submit applications for benefits, once the rule is officially published Friday. Roughly 1,400 disability claims related to Lejeune are already pending, and will be reviewed immediately, according to the VA.
Military personnel must have served at Lejeune for at least 30 days between August 1953 and December 1987.

ATSDR is concerned about the health effects of exposures to chemicals found in the drinking water at Camp Lejeune. Before 1986, drinking water from the Tarawa Terrace and Hadnot Point treatment plants were contaminated with volatile organic compounds (VOCs). The main VOC found at Tarawa Terrace was perchloroethylene (PCE). The maximum level of PCE found in the Tarawa Terrace drinking water system was 215 micrograms per liter (μg/L), which was 43 times higher than the current U.S. maximum contaminant level (MCL) allowed in drinking water of 5 μg/L. The VOCs found at Hadnot Point were trichloroethylene (TCE), vinyl chloride, benzene, and trans-1,2-dichloroethylene (DCE). The maximum level of TCE found in the Hadnot Point drinking water system was 1,400 μg/L which was 280 times higher than the current U.S. maximum contaminant level (MCL) allowed in drinking water of 5 μg/L.

TCE, vinyl chloride, and benzene are classified as human carcinogens, while PCE is classified as a “likely” or “probable” human carcinogen (1-6). The carcinogenicity of DCE cannot be classified because of a lack of studies.

The scientifically reported health effects linked with TCE, PCE, benzene, and vinyl chloride exposure can be viewed at http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/sites/lejeune/tce_pce.html.

Because of health concerns from past exposures to the toxic drinking water contaminants at the base, ATSDR is conducted health studies to evaluate specific birth defects (neural tube defects, cleft lip, cleft palate), childhood cancers (leukemia and non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma), and adult cancers and other chronic diseases. Information on these studies can be viewed at http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/sites/lejeune/activities.html .

ATSDR has completed the modeling of the Tarawa Terrace water system and estimated monthly average PCE levels in the drinking water can be viewed at https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/sites/lejeune/tarawaterrace.html. Estimated monthly average levels of the contaminants in the Hadnot Point and Holcomb Boulevard water systems can be viewed at https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/sites/lejeune/hadnotpoint.html.

Information about which housing areas received contaminated drinking water can be viewed at http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/sites/lejeune/watermodeling_summary.html.

References
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Toxicological Review of trichloroethylene. 2011. https://cfpub.epa.gov/ncea/iris/iris_documents/documents/toxreviews/0199...
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Toxicological review of tetrachloroethylene (perchloroethylene). 2012. https://cfpub.epa.gov/ncea/iris/iris_documents/documents/toxreviews/0106...
IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans, Vol 97: 1,3-Butadiene, Ethylene Oxide and Vinyl Halides (Vinyl Fluoride, Vinyl Chloride and Vinyl Bromide). Lyon, France 2008.
IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans, Vol 100F. Chemical Agents and Related Occupations. A Review of Human Carcinogens. Lyon, France 2012.
IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans, Vol 106. Trichloroethylene, Tetrachloroethylene, and Some Other Chlorinated Agents. Lyon, France 2014.
National Toxicology Program (NTP). Report on carcinogens. 14th edition. Research Triangle Park, NC: US Department of Health and Human Services; 2016.

-CML can be caused by radiation several men in my husband's Army unit have been diagnosed with some type of blood cancer in the past year

Hello 

Although this reply is a year since you posted the question, please advised of many cases, several of which are in the USA Veterans Administration and USA Federal Registrar indicating a tie between CML and Trychloretholine as well as CML and Navy Fuel Oil. 

Additionally,  many doctors throughout the US and other countries have created reports substantiating the claim.. In a couple specific cases,  the appeal went to the Supreme Court of the US, and was approved / recognized by the Veterans Administration (US) 

a search will provide a vast amount of information. 

Best of luck

WB