You are here

Managing thrombocytopenia

Categories:

My mother has been in the Blast Crisis for 6 months now. She was currently taking 50mg Dasatinib on an alternate day after few rounds of chemotherapy failed to get her into remission.

She has also started experiencing constant low platelet counts. We have been including the following foods in diet - pomegranate, spinach, asparagus, pumpkin seeds, pumpkin, beetroot, carrots, greens, that are supposed to boost platelet counts. But they dont seem to increase...
We are taking almost 2 platelet transfusions per 10 days.

For reference, on Monday, her WBC counts were 3000 and platelet were 12000, the Doctor stopped the 50mg Dasatinib that she was taking alternate day and prescribed 1-Single Donor Platelet infusion. On Friday, the WBC counts were 11000 and platelets were 14000 and we took another Platelet infusion.

Each time the platelets go down, she starts experiencing lots of pains. So I'm wondering how others deal with thrombocytopenia. Any suggestions advice would be greatly appreciated. What are the short term implications of having to take as many SDPs constantly.

Hi there, 

I’m really sorry nobody has been able to give you any good answers. Food and blood counts are really not that related. We’d all like to earn some special food to boost our blood counts, but it just doesn’t work that way.

How is your mum doing? Blast crisis is of course very difficult. Transfusions are difficult psychologically too, but they are only done when needed and are the best way of topping up what she needs. There are not really any short, or long term complications with those transfusions ... they are just giving her what she needs.

David.

Thread continued from: 
Questions about blast crisis in CML