You are here

Stopping dasatinib

Categories:

Hi there i am taking dasatinib since 2 months. I had 1 % blast cell in marrow. But my blood count went low so i had to stop dasatinib. Its been 10 days i am not taking dasatinib. I did pbs yesterday and report tells blast in wbc and abnormal cell seen. I am so confuse weather my cml is growing again or not. I have been taking 100 mg daily. Should i start dasatinib again to reduce cml cell.

I would say that stopping treatment in any case with the exception of a controlled trial to go treatment free is not a good plan.  If your blood count is going low with dasatinib there are other TKI's that may be better for you.  Not taking the treatment and assuming that your blasts will remain where they were when you were on treatment is not a safe assumption.  It is however safe to assume that your cml is "growing" when off the treatment because it was designed to stop the bad cells from growing.  Perhaps a reduction in dose (70mg or 50mg) will allow you to stay on the treatment and not have such drastic drops in blood counts?  Taking the treatment is critical for better outcomes.  Hope this helps.  I am not a professional but l think my recommendation is good.

Hi, Take a look at this discussion from last year. Hopefully it will answer some of your questions and help you and your doctor come up with a plan.

https://www.cmlsupport.org.uk/thread/12550/low-hemoglobin#post-53485

My blast shows of 24% and started dasatinib 100 mg. Dasatinib will be able to decrease my blast down to below 10? I am having bmt very soon. I was doing so well and all of sudden black clouds. My blast was 01% and because of low blood count doc suggest me to stop fie few days. I stopped for around 10 days and started since yesterday. My question within these 10 days blast can go this high? I am so so confused right now. 

I am confused by your reply.  Would you please clarify?

When was your blast level at 24%?  Was it in bone marrow aspirate or peripheral blood?

Are you scheduled for a bone marrow transplant due to the stage of your CML?  What stage is your CML currently diagnosed as?

How low did your blood counts go? What was your lowest absolute neutrophil count (ANC)?

How often have you been having blood tests (CBC - complete blood count) since you've been diagnosed?

Kirk

blast was shown in peripheral blood. I was diagnosed in june 2018 borderline of accelerated phase. I was taking imatinib for four months. Regular blood test was ok. But all of a sudden i start getting fever. Blood test showed blast in my blood. Doc change me to dasatinib along with chemo. I was back to chronic phase with 1% blast. But then slowly my blood count began to drop and doc advice me to stop drug. But after ten days i did peripheral blood smear and shows blast again. I was put back on dasatinib 100 mg. Yes i am about to have my bmt. My concern only within 10 days off medication wbc count and blast can go high like this?

I don't have much knowledge of the more advanced CML phases.  My recommendation would be to make sure you have a doctor who is an expert in treating CML.

What is your blast cell percentage currently? As long as your blast cell count is less than 5% you have some time to work through this. Bone marrow transplant is a last resort before trying other things first.

I went through similar events as you. Imatinib did not work for me. My blast cells were over 8% and rising. I was switched to dasatinib and my blood counts tanked. I was taken off dasatinib in a series of off then on pulsing treatment to get me used to dasatinib. This is what your doctor should be attempting with you.

However - there are a few things you can do during (and probably after) this transition as you manage blood counts and dasatinib.

1. Get your vitamin D level checked - chances are you are very low. vitamin D is required in order for blast cells to differentiate. Once I raised my vitamin D level over 50 ng/ml (by taking 5,000 - 10,000 IU's per day with fat), blast cell count went to zero.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18844838

2. Consider Curcumin (6-8 grams per day). Curcumin 'slows' CML and could assist in buying you more time.

Finally - 100 mg dasatinib is too high if you are experiencing severe low blood counts (myelosuppression). My doctor decreased my dose steadily until there was a balance between dose and cell counts (no more suppression).

I went from accelerated phase with lots of blasts to zero blasts, PCRU (undetected) and I take 20 mg dasatinib. I was never prescribed 100 mg., but it was a rocky first year and a half.

Discuss with your doctor and invite him to reach out to Dr. Cortes. If he doesn't know who Dr. Cortes is - you may need another more qualified CML doctor.

Hi scuba

when i did my blood test it showed 24% blast Doctor is planning me to ponatinib. Currently im on dasatinib 100 mg. I am so confused right now. I am having my bmt soon.

Thanks scuba

what Would be the best time to take vitamin d3 supplements and with what food. I usually take dasatinib around 6 pm. 

Best time is morning to mid day. Avoid taking in the evening as it may interfere with sleep (which makes sense since we evolved to make vitamin D (skin) when the sun is shining).

I wish you all the best as you combat CML blasts. Perhaps ponatinib will be successful. Getting blasts under control is the priority. I hope you can do this without a bone marrow transplant. Key is being able to stay on drug - even if lower dose. Are you sure your blasts are 24% vs 2.4% (decimal point misplaced). 24 is very high and requires immediate attention.