You are here

17 years with CML

Hello their,

My name is Jared.......ive had cml since I was 17 and now im 35......was on interferon then gleevec and now sprycel..........I feel pretty good but as you know you can have your off days.

I have a few questions !!!
Has anyone else had CML this long or longer !!! My cancer is on a slow climb and they reckon I should have a transplant but with all the complications im not sure its even worth it.......should I maybe try a few different drugs first like nolutinib or posutinib.........not sure what to do as no one for obvious reasons can give you a straight answer.........

Jared, 

Hello and congrats on 17 years.  I imagine that anyone close to that got on TKI's very soon after they were approved.  I'm sure many of us on the site have wondered the same thing regarding those that have had CML the longest.  

It is difficult to say regarding a transplant without other information (defining your "slow climb").  One of the questions that arise is have you had mutation testing?  This may help in determining whether another TKI would be helpful as some do better targeting certain mutations.  Also it is my understanding that being young is in your favor should you have to later decide on a transplant.  

Also I would expect straight answers from my oncologist or get a second opinion (which would be good to do anyway considering the transplant discussion).

I hope you find all of the answers you are looking for in order to make the best informed decision.