You are here

Sprycel and weight gain

Categories:

Has anyone experienced weight gain while taking Sprycel

Also, the fatigue is brutal. Any ideas on help?

Thanks!!

Hi Skeltonn I put 2 stone in the first 12 months and to be honest 4 years later haven’t really chipped much of that off! but it hasn’t gone up any more, just seemed to have levelled off, fatigue, never thankfully had a problem, but these fantastic drugs that keep us ticking over effect people differently.

Thank you for the reply. I have gained about 30 pounds in the last 12 months. I am 12 months from first being diagnosed and still trying to navigate this disease. 

Yes and yes. I had terrible fatigue on 140mg. I also waxed and waned between diarrhea and constipation, which amplified the fatigue. And I was only on at that dose for 3.5 weeks. I did also gain some weight despite not having much appetite. Weight gain is likely connected to fluid retention, a common side effect of Sprycel. When I started the nurses said weigh yourself every morning. Contact us if you gain more than a pound in one day, or 4 pounds in a week. I never contacted them as I was kind always hovering on that threshold. But I know I had fluid on my lungs and heart, I could feel it. Probably the thing that would help most is if you could reduce your dose without sacrificing effectiveness. I’m currently taking 50mg every other day and don’t have as many side effects that are felt physically, just the  myelosuppression, which is very serious but doesn’t ‘feel’ too bad in and of itself.

No. Just the opposite.

I have experienced weight- loss of approx 20 lbs: From 195 lbs to around 175 lbs.

From Feb 2018 to Feb 2019

Holding around 175 lbs for the last 3 months.

Had to stop the 100mg of Sprycel- terrible side effects after only 3 weeks  Feb 2018 including loss of appetite  - dosage was reduced to 80 MG and that

lasted about 2 months with bad side effects again .

The dosage  was reduced to 50 MG in May 2018

So far 50 MG is working out to be the magic number as far as side effects: I still feel tired and have shortness of breath but not  nearly as

bad as when I was on the higher dosage.

My son gained weight in the last few months. He is on Dastanib from a year now. But not sure is it from the medicine or his eating habits.