You are here

chronic myeloid leukemia

Categories:

I have been taking Imatinib 400 mg for the last two years. 6 months ago my RQ_PCR was 0.033
Now my family wants to marry me. My question is, now if I get married; will there be any problem with my wife and my future baby? Does that mean that my future child may be Chronic Myeloyed Leukemia? Thanks In Advance

Congrats on PCR and getting married! CML cannot be passed on to children as it’s not inherited so that’s fantastic. I am not 100% sure but I believe Imatinib for a male is fine but is an issue if it’s the female with CML and on Imatinib. To be 100% sure ask your doctor. Or I am sure someone else will comment more to clarify for you.

Hi, I had no problem in getting married. I have been taking Imatinib 400mg from 2004 and got married in 2013. We have a child of 4yrs. We are spending a normal life. As per my doctor, CML want be any problem with my child. I had also asked the same question few days ago in the forum and I came to know that CML is not genetic. So, no any problem for future child too.

Shekhar

Alex,

You're right - the consensus is that it's fine to father a child on imatinib. There are several presentations and videos on this site by Jane Apperley which can be found using the search function that describe this in detail. It's definitely not OK to be pregnant and take imatinib (or any TKI) though - so it's much more complex for the ladies. 

The jury is still out on the question of other TKIs and fathering children. There's no as much data as for imatinib. However, I looked into it extensively when planning for kids and spoke with Jane. Her advice to me was to just go for things the old fashioned way (I had semen in the cryo unit in the hospital so had options) while taking dasatinib

David. 

Hi shekhar

How to explain your wife and her family before Married about cml, treatment and risk..

Hi vikram,

This was the toughest for all time. We went to the doctor and rest he explained all about the CML. We knew each other, and she was well know about all this. Explaining to her family was hard and that we left to our doctor.