You are here

Pimples and itch

I was diagnosed with CML going on 4 years now.  Have had various side effects over the years but manageable for the most part.  After 4 years you would think side effects would have all but ceased but now I'm having issues with small itchy pimples that appear all over my body.  Not a group but just one here and there.  I also find myself itching constantly even switching to no fragrance soap, clothes soap and softener, using a shower moisturizer as well as a no fragrance, no vitamin e moisturizer after the shower.  I wake up consistently at early morning having to scratch.  Dermatologist said dried skin but that doesn't explain the pimples.  When I'm done with all the moisturizing I don't know how it can be dried skin.  Anyone else experience this and does anything help?

hi im sonia im 61years and diagnosed with cml sept 2016, im on nilotinib 2 tabs twice daily. lots of side effects initially but feeling a lot better now.

currently i have spots and itcching i take cetirizine tab once daily and use cetraben cream for dry skin, its helped a lot im waiting for a dermatology appt but dr thinks its allergy to the drug,

im also getting pain in my shoulders and use ibuprofen gel topically and 1 paracetomoml 4 times a day.it helps i just feel so lucky to be alive and treated as the medication is so expensive, thank god for theNHS!!!IM OFF SICK FROM WORK BUT HOPE TO GO BACK TO WORK SOMETIME WHEN IM STRONGER.

Hi, itching skin /rashes etc. is a common side effect of TKI therapy and can be successfully treated with a short course of hydrocortisone cream. I had an itching skin rash when I first took imatinib which was treated by a couple of weeks using low dose steriod cream. You should ask your doctor if this is something he/she would prescribe. At least it would do not harm to try.

Having CML is very stressful and long term stress can take its toll on the adrenal glands which can affect your levels of cortisol, with several kinds of effects - such as fatigue, joint and muscle pain, skin issues to name but a few. You can support  adrenal function with supplementation over several months, but I think what you describe is quite a common side effect of several TKIs and can be treated with topical steroids. No need to suffer, ask your doctor to let you at least try.

Sandy