You are here

CML patient for past 7 years last blood results shows Alpha-fetoprotein too high.

Categories:

Dear friends, My father diagnosed CML on 2010 and on imatinib til this date. He is 79 years old and 300mg imatinib worked fine for him so far. Apart from some digestion problem and nausea he is well. Yesterday he went for  a routine blood checkup and doctor found that Alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) is quite high and prescribed for a MRI. I am far away and I spoke to Doctor over phone he said we want to see the liver functionality and see any malignity is there or not............Scheduled the test for next week ....Does anybody have any clue about AFP preotein high in CML patients? or is it all together new?   Kind Regards,Jams 

Hi Jams,

From a brief skim of the internet I have found the following information on raised levels of AFP and what that might mean. I hope the following is helpful.

Sandy

See links here and here

When someone is already at high risk of developing liver cancer, an elevated AFP level is a strong indication that something is wrong. But its association with so many other conditions means that, by itself, AFP measurement is not definitive. 

'Interpretation of the AFP and ultrasound findings is fairly straightforward'.......“Elevated AFP with no liver lesion on the ultrasound means the patient probably has inflammation of the liver” ' 

AFP is measured in nanograms per milliliter (ng/mL). An AFP level of less than 10 ng/mL is normal for adults. An extremely high level of AFP in your blood—greater than 500 ng/mL—could be a sign of liver tumors. High levels of AFP may mean other cancers, including Hodgkin disease, lymphoma, and renal cell carcinoma (kidney cancer). Not all people with these cancers will have an elevated AFP. And elevated AFP levels also could be a sign of cirrhosis or chronic acute hepatitis.