You are here

getting back to 'normal'?

hello to every one

im so happy to hear success stories from people trying to fight CML.

my husband was diagnosed with CML 3 months ago and since then i really try to manage my stress

i have a 3 year old daughter and we were planning to have the second baby before the CML diagnosis

i try to be strong and support my husband but its really hard and i feel fear of the unknown future

i live in a developing country and this site really means a lot to me since i can compare the treatment my husband receives with international standards.

please tell me ur experiences on the ways u manage ur stress especially near the test dates. when the blood test dates come close, our stress levels goes higher.

my husband is doing well and his WBC is in normall level right now, he is using imatinib with minor side effects.

God bless all of you

mitraa

Hi Mitraa,

I think in the early days - and three months since diagnosis is certainly in the early days - it's totally normal to be stressed out quite a lot! I think it would be a bit strange to be any other way.

For many of us who respond well to treatment, over time the stress decreases. For me it's because I see my BCR-Abl test results drop, so I know my CML is under control. So now I know that things are well managed, I don't get worried when I have a trip to the hospital coming up. I still do get butterflies in the tummy when a letter arrives at home from the hospital. I can tell it's from them before I open it, so there's always a few moments of anxiety but it doesn't worry me like it used to.

So I guess my advice is that time heals all wounds, and over time as you and your husband hopefully get comfortable with his results then I imagine you will find that both of you will be less stressed and anxious about CML. 

In the early days, I found that most of my worry was from the unknown. So I promised myself I would learn as much as I could about CML so I could understand what was happening to me, how the treatment works etc. That's just my own coping mechanism, but maybe it could work for you too?

Finally, regarding your plans to have another baby ... I imagine CML has put that on hold for the time being. But assuming your husband responds well, there should not be anything to stop you having another child in the future.

David.

Hello Mitraa,

Having just been diagnosed 6 months ago and with a 2 year old of our own I understood this is a huge shock. I think David gives a great response. Education about how the medicine works and what to expect at each test based on the European and North American guidelines has helped me a lot.

I have found reading the information and links on this site very helpful in understanding. Early on you might feel like you are swimming in a shark tank, but most people will respond to a TKI if they take the medication as directed. At 6 months I have found some piece of mind as my numbers continue to drop... even if not as fast as I would like sometimes.

Best wishes,

Mike