You are here

BCR-ABL

Categories:

Hi,

I am on Gleevec from last 2 years. In my last 2 tests my BCR-ABL was not detected. During this month's test it was .01 (p210) ratio and IS .005. Has anyone experienced such a thing. Please advise as I am really worried.

Annie, don't worry as your BCR-Abl ratio are still pretty low. This change is from one test so could be an anomaly. Has anything changed such as the lab that did this latest test as opposed to the preivous ones?

It may be that the lab has uprated the PCR methodology - especially as it reports on the IS (international standard).  Do have a look of our Q-PCR booklet - 'A Primer For Patients' - which you can download from this site (you can find the link at the bottom of the page) or if you prefer we can send you a hard copy if you send your address to cmlsupportgroup@gmail.com.

Your PCR results can differ, but you need to have at least 2-3 results that show a rising trend before you start to worry (e.g 0.001% rising to 0.01%, 0.1% etc.) .  The most important thing is that your are monitored regularly and that you take your TKI every day.

Hopefully your next PCR result will reassure you.

Sandy

Thanks Sandy for the response. Actually there is no change in the lab. Also rather last 3 were negative and since it is now .01 now I am more worried. Doctor did mention to have a test done after 3 months. But I am not sure how will I hold my worries till then. 

Hi Annie,

yes 3 months to wait for another PCR does seem a long time. Could you persuade your doctor that you are concerned and would like another PCR test now?

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

I met with my main doctor and he mentioned that the lab has upgraded to IS scale and not to worry about my current percentage.

Regards

Annie