You are here

Timing of taking imatinib and heart palpitations

Categories:

Hi all

Hope everyone is doing okay.

I’ve posted a couple of times on here before about experiencing heart palpitations. Currently on Imatinib 400mg.

Pretty sure there is nothing more sinister going on, but must admit it has affected me mentally the last few months to the point where I’m noticing every odd beat and that tends to prompt feelings of panic and anxiety.

I wondered whether anyone takes imatinib before they go to sleep? I currently take it when I’ve had breakfast but have noticed the palpitations (which happen almost daily) and thus the feelings of panic tend to get worse as the day goes on. I’m taking magnesium taurate too.

Am pondering a switch to take them before I go to bed and was just interested in others views and experiences.

On the plus side, after just over 2 years since diagnosis, I have finally reached MMR - current BCR of 0.07 so a very welcome Christmas present!

Merry Christmas to you all.
Dan

I developed sleep apnea and would be awaken by sharp pain below ribs when sleeping on the left side while on Imatinib. I had x-rays and ultra-sound imaging and they could not find anything, just advised me to reduce stress. I then started taking a tea spoon of Manuka 550 MGO for focus at work in afternoon hours and 3 months later noticed that both issues resolved. I was unable to find any reasonable explanation for this, only that Manuka has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. I then put my mother on the same regime, she has arrhythmia and was on some not-very-good meds 3 times a day, and her condition improved to the point that she now takes the meds only once a day and the incidents are very rare, like once in 2 months, and also mild and not so disturbing. It's pricey, but it's worth a try.

Hi. I have been on imatinib for nearly 8 years . After many months ( in my first year ). I gravitated to taking it just before bedtime. Avoiding side effects - which were panic attacks and fatigue. Hope this helps

Philip Collins

I am 44 and have been on imatiniv 200+200 since 13 months. Off late I also have experienced the same thing like you. I take the med around 10 at night and experience the same thing like increased heart beat or pounding like feeling when I am on bed. Now for the last few days I am not going to bed immediately. Walk a bit and spend time before.