You are here

Advice me

Categories:

Hi All? I've got found CML 2010 than I started to glivec 400mg in a day. My PCR result was 0% since 2011, but I have gliveec until today. Now I am 31 years old and I what to get pregnant. Please advice me? 

Khishgee

Hello Kishgee,

Your PCR results need to show that you have at least an optimal response to therapy i.e. at least stable results at or below MMR (0.1% Bcr-Abl)  for 2 years according to recent recommendations. If you know your actual PCR results and they have been consistently at or below 0.1% (0.1%, 0.01% or lower) then you can talk with your doctor about stopping therapy while you try to get pregnant. After stopping therapy you need to be closely monitored by frequent PCR testing. Should your PCR tests show that Bcr-Abl is rising your doctor could suggest the you are either managed with low dose interferon or by Leukopheresis until you give birth.

It is possible for women to successfully manage pregnancy without therapy.... but as I said above you need to have had stable molecular response for at least 24months and then close monitoring by RT-QPCR throughout the pregnancy.

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Thank you for you advice, i have 1 question again, is interferon Alfa 2a same as you suggested? 

Regards

Khishgee

Yes, Interferon comes in different forms and I suggested one that is used more often in Europe which is in a pegylated and is thought to have less side effects:

According to Wikipedia....... PEGylation, by increasing the molecular weight of a molecule, can impart several significant pharmacological advantages over the unmodified form, such as:

• Improved drug solubility
  • Reduced dosage frequency, without diminished efficacy with potentially reduced toxicity
  • Extended circulating life
  • Increased drug stability
  • Enhanced protection from proteolytic degradation

Best wishes,

Sandy

Dear Sandy,

Thank you for your advice, it gave me very very big hope in my mind. Thank you.