You are here

Aches and pains

New to this. 37 years old and diagnosed one month ago (one week before my birthday). WBC was 252...then 129...then 33...and after a month on dasatinib 4.8. This is great and I am thankful for that but I worry about other things I feel. During the first week my tailbone and shoulders hurt a lot. Now I get random twitching in my thigh and sometimes forehead. I get dull headaches around and behind my ear. I find strength in God and my loved ones but being new to this I do worry. I have three kids and a wife. Not sure how many people my age deal with this but I'm sure there are a few on this site. Thanks for letting me vent.

Hi Job,

I'm pretty much the same age as you. Only a month in to dasatinib is still pretty early days - your body is adjusting to lots of stuff. For example, it's having to work extra hard to process all the leukaemic cells that the dasatinib is killing off. That can cause temporary aches and pains for sure. 

Over time, usually within the first three months or so, most patients find that the aches and pains reduce or go away entirely. That said, this doesn't happen for everyone so don't suffer needlessly. For me, imatinib cause too much pain in my limbs so I switched to dasatinib and things are much better. So keep an eye on yourself and let us all know here how you continue to do.

David.

Hi Job,

Welcome to this forum and website. I agree with David's point that it is very early days for you.... you will experience aches and pains and it does depend on the individual how this kind of side effect resolves over the first weeks and months. TKIs have a powerful effect on the CML cells and it does take some time to rid both the marrow and peripheral blood of the abnormal white cells that built up prior to diagnosis. Try not to worry unduly but if you tell your doctor about the pain you consider odd then I am sure he/she will be able to reassure you. Stress and tension can cause a lot of effects, not least joint pain and headaches. You could ask your doctor to check your magnesium levels, as low levels of this essential mineral can cause join pain and muscle cramps etc.

I hope things continue to resolve for you, keep us updated,

Sandy 

Hi job

My name is Elena, I'am 31 years old  and i was diagnosed with cml  the last 3 weeks .My doctor gave me  nilotinib for my treatment  but  i feel lucky because I dont have heavy symptoms to be honestly,  ok maybe Sometimes  I feel tired and dizzy especially dizzy is more often but generally i feel ok.I  dont know if there is a different symptoms for the others pills but as i know  for my reasearch and from various forums i read a lot of patience have symptoms like nausea,rach and Headaches