You are here

fever

Categories:

My father 79 years old was diagnosed with CML ph+ before three months.his white blood cell count was 126000, he took hydria to decrease the white blood cell count and after one month the white blood cell count was 6000 then the doctor decided to start with imatinib 400mg one tablet every day ,after four days using imatinib he got high fever 38.8 c and shill ,his doctor asking for more investigation (chest xray,CT and more blood tests) but he found no infection and no tumor caused this fever,and now my father every day take one tablet ibuprofen 400 mg decrease the fever for 24 hours then the fever becomes 38.8 and no other symptoms,doctor said imatinib dose not cause high fever ,did anyone experience this situation before

I haven't heard of imatinib causing a high fever in an individual, but fever is listed as a potential side-effect of imatinib. I am not sure if this side effect is meant directly, or because imatinib reduces white blood counts an infection / fever is more likely. 

You can read more here: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emcmobile/PIL.14080.latest.pdf

David