You are here

Newly diagonised

My dad of age 55 yrs is diagonised with CML 15 days back. We got his RT-PCR test done and the ratio of BCR-ABL1/ABL1 shows 43.03% (IS).

His total leukocyte count shows 162571 cells/cumm, platelets count is 660100 cells/cumm  and myeloblasts shows 4% and basophils is 3%.

He already got angioplasty done twice before.

I am really scared about this now 

What anti-CML drug (TKI) did his doctor prescribe and at what dose? It seems your dad wad caught early and should respond to treatment. What is his FISH level? This is a measure of actual CML cells under the microscope. Usually at diagnosis it is 100%. How quickly this measure falls is an indicator of treatment response.

Your dads myeloblasts level is a key number to watch. Ideally it should fall to zero. Given his angioplasty, I suspect his vitamin D level is very low (and why blasts are present). He should have his vitamin D level checked (simple blood test). Ideal vitamin D level is between 50-80 ng/ml. I keep mine at 70.

This forum is a great place to learn what others have experienced. You will learn a great deal from this site.

Thank you so much for the reply

He is prescribed with imatinib 400 mg and zyloric 100mg. doctor dint recommend a FISH test.

his Uric acid level is 8.4mg/dL

Your Dad should drink lots of water which will help reduce his uric acid. His CBC report (BUN and creatinine) should show whether he is chronically dehydrated. My uric acid levels were elevated and came down once I started drinking more water (including with a pinch of himalayan salt). I never get thirsty - but the CBC data doesn't lie (elevated BUN and creatinine ; which cam down after drinking more water).

Thank you for the advice Scuba.

What about his CML??

any advice on that?

The most important thing your dad can do for his CML is to take the prescribed dose of imatinib very regularly. There is every likelihood that his PCR-ABL and his WBC will reduce over a few months. It may not be a smooth drop (most of us have had blips), but as long as the trend over 3-6 months is in the right direction don't worry. Side effects of imatinib (bone pain, cramps, night sweat, flatulence, water retention etc.) may or may not be an issue - there is a wide variation. If they get too bad the doctor may consider changing to another TKI. Good luck and let us know his next BCR-ABL result - do you know when that is due? In UK it would normally be one month after starting the meds.  The vast majority of people who have a CML diagnosis now will die with the condition, not from the condition. Hope that helps.

Thanks fr d reply

his next bcr-abl test falls on 21st July 

he started imatinib on 9th June n his new blood test done yesterday showed a wbc count of 20000 from 162571 before starting the tablet 

Dont worry about uric acid levels.

Zyloric will handle it easily.in a few months it will go back to normal values.

And i guess it is not unusual to have elevated level of uric acid levels at the start of treatment.

Take a look at this. Search For allopurinol.

http://treyscml.blogspot.com/2010/01/treys-cml-blog.html?m=1

Also another useful site. Unfornately it is closed but You can read their archieves.

http://cmlc.ml/community.lls.org/topic/17500-kidney-damage-and-tkis/inde...

İ am zdyurek there , in my chart You can easily see, her uric acid dropped to normal after starting allopurinol.( İn a 40 50 days actually ) She is taking 150 mg allopurinol...

And note to myself , i should ask about stopping allopurinol to our doctor.

About cml

My mother has other health problems.believe me cml is the last one concerns me.

İf You dont have any drug related Side effects . Cml is not a scary disease as its name.

Dont worry about uric acid levels.

Zyloric will handle it easily.in a few months it will go back to normal values.

And i guess it is not unusual to have elevated level of uric acid levels at the start of treatment.

Take a look at this. Search For allopurinol.

http://treyscml.blogspot.com/2010/01/treys-cml-blog.html?m=1

Also another useful site. Unfornately it is closed but You can read their archieves.

http://cmlc.ml/community.lls.org/topic/17500-kidney-damage-and-tkis/inde...

İ am zdyurek there , in my chart You can easily see, her uric acid dropped to normal after starting allopurinol.( İn a 40 50 days actually ) She is taking 150 mg allopurinol...

And note to myself , i should ask about stopping allopurinol to our doctor.

About cml

My mother has other health problems.believe me cml is the last one concerns me.

İf You dont have any drug related Side effects . Cml is not a scary disease as its name.