You are here

15 mo results still no MMR

Categories:

Stay the course? Not MMR yet, and this result is a bit worse than 3 months ago. Side effects OK on 400 mg Gleevec. Wait until next time (18 months) to see if the trend goes back to downward?

Apr 2017,  date of dx
BCR/ABL1 of b3a2 Type: 59.08%  International Scale Ratio: 49.0364%

July 2017,  3 mos. post dx
BCR/ABL1 of b3a2 Type: 6.82%  International Scale Ratio:  5.6606%

Sept 2017,  6 mos. post dx
BCR/ABL1 of b3a2 Type: 0.60%  International Scale Ratio: 0.498%

Dec 2017,  9 mos. post dx
BCR/ABL of b3a2 Type: 0.16% International Scale Ratio: 0.368%

Mar 2018, 12 mos. post dx
BCR/ABL of b3a2 Type:  0.09% International Scale Ratio: 0.207%

June 2018, 15 mos. post dx
BCR/ABL1 of b3a2 Type: 0.19% International Scale Ratio:  0.266%

Justine,

I would switch to Sprycel if you can (mid-dose: 50 mg). You have plateaued on Gleevec. You might resume a downward trend, but it will likely be slow. Your goal is to get below 0.1%

Sprycel works differently than Gleevec and is more potent. Recent studies are showing lower starting dose is more effective than higher initial dose (due to suppression and other side effects at the higher dose). 50 mg would be a great starting dose which minimizes side effects and will likely cause your PCR to plummet. I am very confident that will happen.

So confident, that once you fall below 0.1%, you should reduce your Sprycel dose further to 20 mg for maintenance and minimize side effects even further. Side effects, by the way, are not just what you feel (i.e. headaches, rash, stomach upset), but what you don't feel (damage to pleural lining, enzyme issues, etc.).

Dose control is unique to each patient. Gleevec is dose dependent. In order to get a better response you would have to increase your dose to 600-800 mg. More Gleeve may give you a better result, but also greater side effects. Sprycel is a threshold drug. More is not better. Once the correct dose is achieved, Sprcyel just works to attack CML. More drug doesn't make it work better - it's just more drug - and more side effects. I have posted why elsewhere in this forum.

Regardless, you are going to be fine even if you stay the course.

Justine - I think you have a tough decision to make. Scuba has given you great advice re Sprycel, but you also seem to be doing well on Gleevec from a side effects standpoint.  Tasigna is also an option - it is also more potent than Gleevec and has been effective for me on low dose.  I started at 600 mg/day and reduced 3 times to 450, then 300 then 150 mg/day in my first year due to multiple AE's.  During these dose reductions, I reached and have maintained <.003% PCR IS.  Tasigna can be tougher on the cardiovascular system than either Sprycel or Gleevec and Sprycel can be tougher on the pulmonary system.  Also with Tasigna, you must avoid food for at least 2 hours after eating and at least 1 hour after a dose is taken.  The side effects of all three primary TKI's tend to diminish with time and with lower dose.

Since you have not had 18 months of treatment yet, if it were me, I would retest in 6 - 8 weeks and see what happens to your trend.  If it goes down again, and particularly if it gets closer to or reaches .1%, you can stay the course with Gleevec for a while longer.  If not, then you can make an informed decision as to Sprycel or Tasigna after discussion with your doc and a full consideration of the side effects profile.  

Good luck - we'll be thinking about you and praying for you 

Similar to you I plateaued on Imatinib just below 1%. We tried a higher dosage and it didn’t help. But we switched to Bosutinib and at my 18 month check I dropped from .78 to .19%.

I was scared to make a switch as I felt good on Imatinib, but I‘ve felt even better on Bosutinib. I am dealing with some liver enzyme issues and a high ALT/AST value we are addressing by trying a 300mg dosage. And the GI side effects were rough for the first month. But you could also consider Bosutinib.

Thank you Scuba, Cmljax, Mike. These sound like good options to pursue. I like my oncologist very much but we are a small town with a small cancer center, and I have wondered if I should try to get an appointment with Dr. Druker who is only a day's drive from us. One never wants to be an "interesting case," but he might have a recommendation. Thanks.

Justine. I think there's every chance you'll zoom down on Sprycel too and it would be fantastic to see Dr Druker. I hope you do manage to get an appointment with him. Good luck!

Scuba. Just wondering if you know what the protocol is for the study at MD Anderson with the starting dose of 50mg? Do patients in that study stay on 50mg indefinitely if they have a deep response or are they going to have their dose slowly reduced further?

I really would love to follow your advice to Justine: "once you fall below 0.1%, you should reduce your Sprycel dose further to 20 mg for maintenance and minimize side effects even further" but I'm anxious.

I'm still on 50mg per day Sprycel and have plateaued at MR4.0 for over 18 months. Trying to hang in there on the 50mg to see if I can get below MR4.0 and then reduce dose, but I'm so tired of the fatigue, low Hb, low RCC, GI side effects and for the last few months, numbness and tingling in my left hand. The numbness/tingling could have nothing to do with Sprycel. I'm 50 and would like to ramp up my work situation but it's hard to conjure up enthusiasm for this with zero energy.

Would be very interested to see a study looking at your idea of reducing to 20mg once BCR ABL drops below 0.1% :)

CML diagnosed April 2016, Type One Diabetes diagnosed 1980 (age 12)

100mg Sprycel for first six months. 50mg Sprycel ever since.

BCR-ABL (IS)
46.77  April 2016
3.568  July 2016
0.076  Oct 2016
0.016  Feb 2017
0.0079  April 2017
0.014  July 2017
0.019  Sept 2017
0.011  Nov 2017
0.019  Jan 2018
0.0093 Apr 2018

Isla,

Below are links to 50 mg suggested starting dose:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29723397

https://www.cancertherapyadvisor.com/chronic-myeloid-leukemia/chronic-le...

note the date of the first linked article - this is new information. My own oncologist did part of the research. He no longer starts patients at 100 mg.

Also - I'm looking for the reference on low dose Sprycel being more effective than higher dose due to Adverse effects on immune system for some patients. Essentially - although Sprycel kills CML cells it also suppresses the immune systems natural ability to also check cancer (NK cells). Lower dose enables our immune system to keep up the fight and with Sprycel at lower dose creates a better environment for CML attack (i.e. immune system + Sprycel). Seems to be working for me (PCRU at 20 mg).

When my dose was lowered to 20 mg, my response took off and my blood counts improved. Patients who experience adverse events at higher dose Sprycel are more likely to benefit greatly from low dose Sprycel. As counter-intuitive as it sounds, lowering the dose may actually improve response. The key is to learn what the individuals threshold response is when starting therapy. Some people need more drug to cross the threshold. But I suspect many do not and are over prescribed with unnecessary excess drug.

Thanks MJP - that's the one.

By the way - Dr. Cortes at M.D. Anderson verified he has seen this as well. They need more study to 'prove' out this theory - but I don't need a clinical study to inform me on this important early finding. It just makes too much sense (once you get passed the more is better intuition). Sprycel suppresses the blood system (including immune system) in sensitive people. Lowering dose seems to give the best of both worlds - attack on CML chemically and preserving the NK immune response to also attack.

I'm getting a second opinion on treatment as my current onc seemingly refuses to discuss this issue.   When I mentioned these studies - and that its MD Anderson leading them - he just dismissed them and basically stated that unless I can "prove" my side effects (which I didn't have before Sprycel) are the result of Sprycel he won't change my dosage.

Thanks for those articles and input :)

The idea of lower dose Dasatinib being more effective than higher dose is certainly tantalising. I'm just balancing that idea with seeing two patients on the US site (CallMeLucky and MikeFromIllinois) go into treatment-free remission after being at 100mg Sprycel for a number of years and wondering if I too could have soon been eligible for TFR if I'd stuck with 100mg. I'm convinced it was not the path for me though as the side effects were intolerable. I've got a low body mass index - 52kg and height 5'2.

I just watched Doctor Stephanie Rea's conference presentation which was posted by RC Kirk on this forum last week. I highly recommend it. She stresses the importance, once good response has been achieved, of "determining patient personal optimal low dose". It gives lots of detail, such as in DASISON five year follow up for patients whose Sprycel dose was reduced after achieving MR4.5, lowering dose to either 50mg or 80mg meant that 9 out of 15 patients retained MR4.5 and 5 blipped up to MR. And for patients who'd achieve MMR (but less than MR4.5) and reduced dose, lowering dose to 50mg or 80mg, 15 out of 26 went on to MR4.5, 9 stayed at MMR and 2 lost MMR (0.1-<10%).

"TKIs save lives: now it's time to address overtreatment"

https://vimeo.com/272187639

Here is another article I found very interesting:

Elderly Patients With Chronic Myeloid Leukemia Benefit From a Dasatinib Dose as Low as 20 mg

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2152265017300149

I will keep people updated on the outcome of whatever I decide to do with my dose. We are all different. Some need higher dose. Some do well (or better) on lower dose. It's great being able to read up on everyone's experiences as we sometimes get a good feel for things before the published literature has caught up.

My dr at Dana started me at 50 mg. Gleevic made Mr really sick
After 2 years down to 40. And now 20 mg. .002 and 4.7. Bcrabl tests
Hoping to get to every other day

Maddie, thought I would bring your post from May 12, 2021 forward:

May. Undetectable

March. .0187. 3.72

feb. .029. 3.55

had surgery and stop drugs for week

Nov. .055. 4.26

sept. .0126. 3.9

aug. 1.111. 1.95

june. 37.1. .43

dr is dropping me to 40 mg. Till august and then maybe. Just 20

Thank you. Just wanted to let all know you can start at a lower dose. You can always go up and lower has less side effects

I remain now on 20. With Bcrabl. .002. 4.3.