You are here

Blood Counts

I had my biopsy last Wednesday, we are still waiting for results from the biopsy. Meanwhile, my newested BCR came back and it went down from 62 to 23. However, I am just starting my FOURTH week with out being on any chemo/tki due to low blood counts. When I am on TKI's they make my blood counts drop too low. My counts dropped even lower this week. So I have a few questions now and maybe you all can help...

Is it possible to have aplastic anemia? I googled low blood counts and empty bone marrow and this "aplastic anemia" is something that pops up. I am not sure if you can have that and CML. I do have alot of the symptoms. Does anyone on here have both? I have asked my doctor about it. 

Why did my BCR go down but my counts continue to go down and I am NOT on chemo? Fluke in BCR test or just the chemo still in my system?

I take quite a few vitamins, are there certain medications or vitamins that could be causing my numbers to stay low?

Bone Pain... its getting EXTREME. It is waking me up in the middle of the night and making me just miserable... What is causing this? Is there anything to help this??

Most recent blood counts were the following:

WBC - 2.9. RBC - 2.86. Hemoglobin - 9.4. Platelets - 23. (No they havent offered or want to give me a transfusion)

Mayo in 2 weeks and hoping for more answers there too. 

Thank you! 

Except for platelets, your counts aren't all that low for CML patients early on.  In fact, my WBC is always around that, and I've been at this almost 10 years.  What is your absolute neutrophil?  (ANC)  How is your hematocrit?  The hemoglobin is only just under normal, as is the RBC.  I don't think you need to worry about aplastic anemia.  It takes many months, sometimes years, for CMLers to get their counts back to near normal; it's just the way it is.  But the doctors often don't tell you what a REALLY low number is, like a number where they would worry.  It's usually a lot lower than these!  My onc just stayed the course, didn't even remark on them, and they gradually came up (a couple of years).  However, having said that, I know you have other complicating matters, so they could be coming into play I guess.  The platelets are definitely in the danger zone - docs don't usually bat an eye until they're under 50.

Agree with Kat...my WBC has always been around that since starting TKI (21 months). Your Platelets are low though. Mine are always low but like 90-100. Strange that you went from 62-28 but this is good news. Your biopsy should shed some light on what tki you should take. Praying for you and hope your pain subsides while you await answers.

Hematocrit low, but OK.  That's where I was in early days of Gleevec (first two years).  Don't mean to make light of your fears - I remember thinking anemia might be going on and I asked for all the various tests - but in the end, it's just the myelosuppression of all the TKI's.  As leukemic cells decrease, good blood cells will increase.  It's just that the replacement is a slow process.  However, the ANC is definitely low and worrisome, as are your platelets.  Anyway, I think you are going to be in good hands soon with your consultation.  Please keep us apprised!