You are here

Low blood phosphates πŸ€”

Categories:

Hello everyone,

I am new here. I am a 70 yo old french man so please apologize any typos πŸ˜—

I was diagnosed with CML in May 2022. I have been on first line Tasigna (Nilotinib) for 18 months and doing good otherwise (last PCR is 0.22), but i checked my previous lab results and noticed that my blood phosphates levels keep decreasing πŸ˜•

I just got my last lab results and it turns out i have low blood phosphates (0.56 mmol/ml) or hypophosphatemia.

I googled it and learned that it is a very common side effects of TKIs, with anywhere from 7 to 80% of patients suffering from hypophosphatemia depending on the drug and the study.

Has anyone else experienced low blood phosphates? How do you manage this side effect ?

Any input appreciated ☺️

Thanks a lot ❀️

In adults, normal phosphate concentration in serum or plasma is 2.5 to 4.5 mg/dL (0.81 to 1.45 mmol/L).

Healthcare providers most often use oral phosphate replacement medication (pills taken by mouth) to treat mild to moderate cases of hypophosphatemia. They may also recommend a diet high in phosphorus to correct your phosphate levels. If hypophosphatemia is severe, they provide phosphate replacement through an IV.

Your CML level is also low enough that you shouldn't hesitate to talk to your doctor about lowering your dosage if you are still on the normal Nilotinib/Tasigna 600mg starting dosage.

Buzz

Thanks for your answer Buzz 😊, which is reassuring.
I should be able to get in touch with my haematologist next week and will discuss both topics with him :)

Thanks again !

Dupont, I wanted to mention that at any PCR reading of 1.0 (CCyR), or less, CML presents no danger to the CML patient which provides you with justification for a possible TKI dosage reduction..

Buzz

Thanks again, this is reassuring to hear :). From what i understand, my haematologist would like to get me below 0.1% in the quickest way possible, his target for his CML patients is the TFR. I know there are others haematologists who favor dose reductions/minimal effective doses, with quality of life/toxicities prevention in mind, but i would have to consult in Paris to find this kind of haematologist (dose reduction is not mainstream in France).

Thanks again and have a nice sunday πŸ˜Šβ˜€οΈ

Thanks again, this is reassuring to hear :). From what i understand, my haematologist would like to get me below 0.1% in the quickest way possible, his target for his CML patients is the TFR. I know there are others haematologists who favor dose reductions/minimal effective doses, with quality of life/toxicities prevention in mind, but i would have to consult in Paris to find this kind of haematologist (dose reduction is not mainstream in France).